cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

871 stops working

sebastiasebas
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco 871W working as PIX, controlling external VPN connections to our private network.

The configuration is very similar to the one described here - "Cisco Router as a Remote VPN Server using SDM Configuration Example" :

>>> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps5318/products_configuration_example09186a00806ad10e.shtml

About once a week, it stops working, without aparent external intervention.

The ping to the external IP stops answering, and the internal IP stops answering pings also.

The solution is power-off and power-on, and it starts working again ...

What is the correct way to debug this situation ?

I can connect a HyperTerminal using direct cable to the 871, but dont know the relevant commands to debug this situation.

Is there any LOG I can have a look into ? Yes, I am quite new to Cisco world ...

Any sugestions ?

By the way : "show version" says ...

Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Sebastian.

20 Replies 20

I think you should follow Paolo's advice to save time in the meanwhile.

Regards,

Giorgos

Giorgos & Paul - now I have IOS 12.4(24) installed ...

Lets see if my problems go away ...

Thanks for your patience !

Sebastian.

brharden
Level 1
Level 1

Sebastian,

Hello, are you still having this problem sometimes?

During the problem it sounds like you can access the router via the console?

If this is correct, the next time the issue occurs can you please run, in enable mode:

show process cpu sorted | ex 0.0

show process cpu history

show memory stat

show interfaces

If you could respond with that information we may be able to resolve your issue.

Thanks and best of luck,

-Brian

Thanks, Brian - I have learned something : I must write better questions ...

In fact, i was looking for a short list of commands to use in case of problems, as the one you provided (more or less).

Lets see if op-sys update resolves our problems, or I shall be back with the command's output ...

Cheers.

Were you able to figure out the cause of the failure?  I am  experiencing the same thing on my 871W running 15.1.4M4 which is the  latest IOS version available.  It happens about every week for me too so  I can collect data if there are more suggestions about what to collect  and look at.

The closest thing I've been able to find is already fixed in my IOS version

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCsi03915

Joe, you may want to make a new post.

Then please clearly state the issue, and other pertinent information like:

has this setup worked okay previously?

Any recent configuration or topology changes?

etc.

If you are getting hangs or freezes, but no crashinfo files, please capture and attach the above requested outputs:

show process cpu sorted | ex 0.0

show process cpu history

show memory stat

show interfaces

-Brian

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card