Views
Helpful
Replies

877w simple internet access configuration, problem

svenssondaniel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone!

I have recently bought an 877w ADSL router.

Installed and tried to configure it last week without success.

I log in to it. Run the guide, entering all the information. But after that no client have internet access.

And i cant get any real status from it, in the GUI i cannot find any logs, or see if it have recieved any IP from the ISP and so on.

The only status i get is wan: UP.

The clients get their internal IP ok.

Hope someone can help me. Thanks

Daniel

18 Replies 18

Hi,

I think you really need to contact your ISP and see if they have a shell of a config you can use.

Their connection system is quite unusual. Most providers these days are using PPPoe. PPPoA systems.

Bridging does work really well in my experience but is used in "business class" connections. It connects quickly, and doesnt require authentication servers to be operating to make the system work.

I used to used an australian ISP called Internode who offered internet connection like your provider does. Are you sure that you have not been allocated a fixed IP address, gateway and subnet mask for the router?

You also seem to be missing a default route command

In your config it would be

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 atm0.1

this is assuming your connection is on atm0.1, it may be atm0.2, just look at your config. Each time you delete and add a sub interface, it creates a new number.

You also need to se up NAT

ip nat inside source list 1 interface atm0.1 overload

You should contact your ISP and see if they can see you connection "come up" when you have your router turned on. If they are not seeing your router and can't ping it then you are nowhere close to being working. If your connection is supposed to get its IP address etc via DHCP, your ISP shuld be able to see your router requesting and receiving its DHCP info.

If all is well, you should be able to ping an external address (by number) from the console of the rotuer. Once you can do this your at 99% working.

Then you need to be able to do the same with a PC connected to the ethernet interface.

Hi guys!

Got a response from the ISP today.

Ofcourse they did not have any basic configuration for the router.

But he did provide me with this information: (its translated with google translate)

Hello!
Thanks for your inquiry.
We use a dynamic IP (DHCP) and Dynamic DNS. We does not use PPPoE or PPPoA or some form of logon. Other settings you may need to do is we as ISP uses the following: Enet / ENCAP, routing, LLC based and VP 8 and vc 35 (UBR).

I have used the 8/35 settings in the CP express. The other i cannot find any settings for.

Any help with that please?

Hey!

Firstly thank you for all your help!

I have recieved all the info from my ISP today. But they did not have any ready configurefiles for that router.

I really hope your commands will help me up with the router. But i cannot enter them directly via telnet? It wont have that.

How do i open up the configure-file for editing? Sorry if that is a stupid basic question. But i really have no idea! And the router did not come with either a disc or a manual.

one more update now.

Ready to give up this crap now.

Did enable routing in the CPexpress to the correct ATM interface still no luck with pinging an outside adress from telnet.

Will i need to configure NAT before i should be able to ping an outside adress from telnet?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card