cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

881 router factory reset

kevin.hong1
Level 1
Level 1

How do I factory reset a cisco 881 router?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kuhmadchen
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I know this is an old post, but using the info posted by Leo, and then got more details:

1. Turn off and disconnect power.
  2. Press and hold the reset button.
  3. Connect the power and turn on.
  4. Continue holding the reset button until after it gets to [OK] and gave some Invalid Input errors

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at the back of the router and you should be able to find a "Reset" button.  

Q. What is the purpose of the Reset button?
A. The Reset button is used to restore the router to the default factory settings if pressed within 5 seconds of router power up. Here is how it works:

The router will not react to the Reset button if it is pressed 5 seconds or more after power up.

When the Reset button is pressed within 5 seconds of bootup and there is no valid xxx.cfg file in the flash memory, the router boots up with the factory defaults stored in nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM).

When the Reset button is pressed within 5 seconds of boot up and there is a valid xxx.cfg file in the flash memory, the router boots up with the xxx.cfg file and avoids the startup-config file in NVRAM. The xxx.cfg default configuration file in flash memory also replaces the startup-config file in NVRAM.

So I've tried this, and it doesn't seem to change anything.

Do I need to hold the button in? if so: for how long?

I've tried from a single press, up to pressing and holding for as long as 15 seconds.

kuhmadchen
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I know this is an old post, but using the info posted by Leo, and then got more details:

1. Turn off and disconnect power.
  2. Press and hold the reset button.
  3. Connect the power and turn on.
  4. Continue holding the reset button until after it gets to [OK] and gave some Invalid Input errors

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card