Views
Helpful
Replies

9200CX Console port - USB MICRO

netadminfhvi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

We have ordered some 9200Cx, but it seems that we need a micro USB to get to the console. Not the standard mini USB type B, but the mobile phone type USB Micro Type B.

A standard USB Micro Type B, doesn't work, even with the Cisco USB Driver, not serial port appears under the Ports (Com & LPT) list.

Am I missing something in terms of setup or do I need another piece of device? The install guide mention a "USB Type B to RJ45 adapter (CAB-CON-USB)", which is optional by the way. However I have some trouble in finding a reseller, or any détails on that piece of device.

Anyone got any clue, or shall i return my brand new 9200CX and return to my old (but fine) 3560CX???

thanks in advance for helping

23 Replies 23

Still no update?

tctrout
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone find a way to resolve this?

having the exact same problem with C9200CX switches. I have a Micro USB that we use to console into IR1835 routers using the Silicon Labs drivers but doesn't seem to work on the C9200CX.

If you watch device manager when first booting up the 9200CX you will see an unknown device pop in and out a couple of times, but once the switch fully boots it disappears from device manager and doesn't not appear to recognize your plugged into the switch as no COM port is listed via USB.

Talked with a cisco REP who ended up RMAing us another switch but it's doing the exact same thing.

What worked for me with the C9200CX's is a USB to Micro USB cable and this driver: https://software.cisco.com/download/home/282774222/type/282855122/release/3.1 . Not all USB to Micro USB's would work either. Some of the cheaper models that were meant for charging phones won't work. I used one out of a Palo firewall box however later we found some that worked on Amazon that were meant for Aruba equipment. 

Having the same issue. The console connection is not getting recognized in Device manager even after installing the USB console driver. My raspberry pi won't even recognize this and works great with the Mini USB port on the 9200 switches.

ultraplex
Level 1
Level 1

ultraplex_0-1704543448451.png

ASR 8000 Waystream to RS-232 RJ-45 adapter cable

The console port on the ASR 8000 is not compatible with the USB standard.
Use only with Waystream provided adapter cable!

anyone know where to get it?

kdsingh007
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco does make this adaptor, I don't know why this is not included in these switch boxes.  I have received similar adaptor with a different cisco router model. Attached is an image of the adaptor I have receivedmicro usb type b console.jpeg

Where do you buy CAB-CON-USBRJ45 ? Wherever I go I just see a regulare USB cable not the dongle style micro USB to RJ45 serial. Perhaps all these sites have the wrong pictures up or Cisco has the same part number for 2 different parts? Let me know if you actually purchased this part. A picture would be helpful.

you buy this from cisco, reach out to cisco sales rep and order this directly from cisco

jridout
Level 1
Level 1

search Amazon for Cisco Console Cable | USB Type A to USB Micro-B 6 ft (1.8 Meters) | CAB-USB-UB= | USB 2.0

$29.95 works without adding drivers to windows 11 on the C9200CX

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card