cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9500 StackWise Virtual reload issue

arrojas.d
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys. I have the following problem.
In a Virtual StackWise environment, when there is a working switch already working with everything on top, if I try to turn on the second switch it does not enter the stacky it reboots until it is in rommon.
The restart message is as follows:
"Chassis 2 reloading, reason - lost both active and standby".
To solve this I must restart the switch that is active and make the two go up together.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pkumari4
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Arrojas,

From the notes I can see that your switch is running on 16.9.X

As I understand, there is an issue when trying to boot two C9500-24Y4C-A as Stack wise-virtual with software version 16.9.X

The switch C9500-24Y4C is a High-Performance model and although configurable on 16.9, this is NOT officially supported and can cause different issues.

This feature is supported on this platform starting from 16.10.1.

The recommended release for these models in SVL is 16.12.2 as documented in:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/214814-recommended-releases-for-catalyst-9200-9.html

Please also go through 16.12.x release notes to check supported features and caveats. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/16-12/release_notes/ol-16-12-9500.html

Regards,

Priyanka

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to clarify, You have configured 1st switch Stackwise Virtual and running, and you would like to join new member to stackwise virtual is this correct ?

On the first switch after configure Stackwise virtual did you reboot ? or you applied config not rebooted ?

To form the Stackwise Virtual you need to reboot the device after applying the configuration from standalone to Stackwise virtual.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Actually the problem occurs when the network is completely turned off and then I turn on one of the switches until it is fully functional. After turning on the second switch, which had already formed part of the stack, does not form the stack again (it remains in a reload loop).
Also try deleting the settings of the second switch, leave it clean, and it still didn't work until you restart the switch that was already working.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What firmware are both units running on?

They run version 16.9 and are C9500-24Y4C.

@arrojas.d wrote:

They run version 16.9 and are C9500-24Y4C.

Just plain "16.9" is not really a helpful information.

I am running 16.X.X  Code never seen this issue as part of SAT test, we have rebooted many times before we put them in production ?

have done this failover and acceptance test before move to production.

can you post show version Full like to see what train is this 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

pkumari4
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Arrojas,

From the notes I can see that your switch is running on 16.9.X

As I understand, there is an issue when trying to boot two C9500-24Y4C-A as Stack wise-virtual with software version 16.9.X

The switch C9500-24Y4C is a High-Performance model and although configurable on 16.9, this is NOT officially supported and can cause different issues.

This feature is supported on this platform starting from 16.10.1.

The recommended release for these models in SVL is 16.12.2 as documented in:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/214814-recommended-releases-for-catalyst-9200-9.html

Please also go through 16.12.x release notes to check supported features and caveats. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/16-12/release_notes/ol-16-12-9500.html

Regards,

Priyanka

Hi pkumari4,

Thank you very much for the reply. Yes, they are high performance switches. We had not noticed the condition of the Stack for the software. Today I will try to upgrade and comment on results when testing.

Hello Arrojas,

Yes please perform the upgrade and keep me posted.

Regards,

Priyanka

Priyanka,

The upgrade to version 16.12.2 was generated and the tests gave good results. Thank you very much for the help.

Sounds excellent Arrojas!!!

Rehatds,

Priyanka

Help me plz to day i reboot core sw 9500 stack wise-virtual   get lost config every time .  

C9500-24Y4C  ver. 17.3.3. I think this ver. not support Stack wise-virtual

Can i install firmware  on switch  that are already installed Stack right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: