cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9606 quad sup replacement

richyvrlimited
Level 1
Level 1

recently had an in chassis standby sup fail and be replaced via our support contractors,

Can I confirm with the community that replacement is literally remove failed unit and install the new one? I stumbled across the following. documentation and the last thing I want to do is cause a potential outage.

Have to say I wasn't expecting such a caveat on this sort of kit, on an access layer catalyst stack it doesn't matter what code is on a replacement it just updates it to what the stack is running automatically.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/catalyst-9600-series-supervisor-engine-1/216193-replace-a-supervisor-module-or-stack-mem.html#anc41

• If the new supervisor is running on 16.x code, or if you are unsure of the code it is running on, try to insert the supervisor on a spare chassis and get it upgraded to 17.x code. If there is no spare chassis to upgrade, the below steps have to be followed.
  • This step is very important. Insert the ICS supervisor and use Ctrl+C to break them to rommon.If you miss to break into ROMMON and supervisor boots up on 16.x code, this could take down the complete chassis where the supervisor was inserted
  •  

As an aside, who genuinely has a spare chassis lying around

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card