cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9606R in SVL - Which management port to use?

MFLauder
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I just installed a SVL pair of 9606R with managment port gi0/0 configured with an IP. 
I noticed that only when I connect a cat6 cable to SW2 gi0/0 managment interface the management IP pings. 
SW1 is standby and SW2 is active. Is SW2 being active what is making gi0/0 management port "active" only on SW2? 
If so in the event that SW2 went down would I need to also have a cat6 cable going to SW1 gi0/0 management port to take over? 

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yes correct (both should be in same VLAN access port on the connected management switch) - so they can same manangement IP when switch over took place.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

For SVL, don't use the management port. Just use two regular 10Gig ports from a blade or the Supervisor module. The SVL ports can be copper or fiber.

HTH

I've used twe ports on may switch blades for SVL. This question was specifically about the management ports on the SUPs. Thanks for the input though!

Apologies for misunderstanding your question. As for the management port, what BB noted is correct. Just one thing to add is to make sure on the management switch the ports are configured with "portfast" so, the failover is quick and the ports don't go through all the STP steps when one of the ports or sups goes down. I have actually tested this on other platforms, and it works really well.

HTH

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Only 1 Manangment port will be active - until you switch over other will not be active.

Both the Manangment ports need to be connect to out of band switch to work.

BB

Ok so cable both SW1 and SW2 management ports and in the event that either of them power off, they I assume they use the same management IP address? 

Thank you

yes correct (both should be in same VLAN access port on the connected management switch) - so they can same manangement IP when switch over took place.

BB

Awesome. Thank you. I figured as much but wanted to check with others on the forum who may have actual experience with it. 

sure you can welcome, have many SVL cat 9K deployments in the last 1 years all works as expected as i mentioned.

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card