Views
Helpful
Replies

9800-CL issue

jasonjefrey1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I need some advice regarding an issue with my C9800-CL controller. Currently, I have 5 sites connected to the controller, with 4 of them being remote sites. However, one of the sites suddenly stopped connecting to the controller. Upon further investigation, we discovered that the APs were assigned the wrong controller IP address. We are unsure where this IP address is coming from. We use option 43 for remote sites since they operate on a different range from the wireless management interface. However, APs receive their correct IP address range but get assigned a controller mgmt interface IP Add.

Additionally, we have been experiencing a problem where APs for specific sites disconnect and require a reboot of the core switch to rejoin the controller. This happens whenever there is a power outage in those areas. We have our DHCP scope and option 43 configured in the Fortigate firewalls at each site, but unfortunately, we do not have access to FW as a third party manages them.

We converted these APs to capwap; they had ewc mode.

I have added 3 comments in the middle of the AP logs and the same comments at the bottom section of the AP logs.

AP type C9115
All APs are configured to use local mode

Thanks,

Jason

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

you need to check the DHCP. When the AP drops, try to see if it has IP address, I believe it has not. If it does, check if you see ARP on the core.

This can be a bug but see this steps first.

View solution in original post

Hi Flavio,

Thank you so much for your advice. We managed to get the site working again. So, the 3rd party company that manages the FW changed option 43 HEX to something different by mistake; hence APs couldn't find the correct MGMT interface.

With the other issue of the APs disappearing, I will upgrade the core switches and see how it goes. 

Thank you,

Jason

Hi Marce, 

I appreciate your suggestion to check the wireless output of the show tech with an analyzer tool. The site is up now. 

Thank you,

Jason

10 Replies 10

Hi @jasonjefrey1 

The AP see two WLC on the network.  As you mentioned "they had ewc mode" probably one of them still have the config enabled.

If is not difficult to find the IP 192.168.70.13. Go to the Core switch, ping the IP, look the ARP table and see from where it comes.

[*06/27/2023 08:55:54.2440] Discovery Request sent to 192.168.70.13, discovery type STATIC_CONFIG(1)
[*06/27/2023 08:55:54.2450] Discovery Request sent to 100.100.100.88, discovery type DHCP(2)

Hi Flavio,

Let me locate 192.168.70.13 and convert it to the capwap. Thank you for
getting back to me so quickly. Then the 100.100.100.88 is weird bcoz we
don't know that range.

Any idea what could be the issue with the other APs disjoining and only
joining the controller after a core switch reboot?

Jason

you need to check the DHCP. When the AP drops, try to see if it has IP address, I believe it has not. If it does, check if you see ARP on the core.

This can be a bug but see this steps first.

Hi Flavio,

Thank you; let me try that for sure.

Thanks

Hi Flavio,

Thank you so much for your advice. We managed to get the site working again. So, the 3rd party company that manages the FW changed option 43 HEX to something different by mistake; hence APs couldn't find the correct MGMT interface.

With the other issue of the APs disappearing, I will upgrade the core switches and see how it goes. 

Thank you,

Jason

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Review the 9800-CL controller configuration with the CLI command show tech wireless  ; have the output analyzed with
                                  https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi Marce1000,

I will try that as well.

thanks

Hi Marce, 

I appreciate your suggestion to check the wireless output of the show tech with an analyzer tool. The site is up now. 

Thank you,

Jason

>...I appreciate your suggestion to check the wireless output of the show tech with an analyzer tool. The site is up now. 
 Go for it!  It will bring you lots of advisories  please note ; you need the output of the CLI command : show tech wireless ; not simply show tech ; then feed that output into : https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rajasekarsarva
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mobile user not able to connect Guest wifi with 2.5Ghz

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card