cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A Little Help :)

Luke Edwards
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I was wondering if someone is able to help me with a question?

Basically, it is asking for the following, ...supply a report explaining the reasons behind moving to a router- switch configuration, and discussing the advantages and disadvantages of using VLANs...

I am okay with finding the VLANs stuff, its just I am trying to understand what the first bit means.

Hope someone will help!

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unsure what you mean by a "router- switch configuration".  Are you asking about L3 switches or a topology that uses routers and L2 switches?  Also, moving from what?

BTW, the basic advantage/disadvantage of using VLANs often revolve around sharing the same hardware to support multiple LAN networks.  Generally, VLAN capable switches are more expensive than non-VLAN capable switches, especially today, as non-VLAN capable switches are "dumb" switches, while VLAN capable switches should be manageable.  Using VLANs exposes some additional security risks (especially on early VLAN capable switches) that might be precluded by not using VLANs.

Thank you so much for getting back to me,

Just reading the case study for the any hints to what it is moving from and there is a little section that says the following...

"You decide that the router-hub topology has some major flaws in its design. In the light of this you suggest to your manager that you should implement a router-switch configuration so that VLANs can be used."

Don't know if that helps make it easier to define?

Must be a pretty old case study when it mentions a "router-hub topology".  (BTW, router-hub means router[s] and hub[s] being used, together, to built a network.)

Sounds like this case study finds some "major flaws in its design" which would be addressed by replacing hubs with switches, the latter VLAN capable.

Generally a switch is usually a good replacement for a hub, with or without using VLANs.  Using VLANs can make it much easier to implement some logical topologies that would be much more difficult to implement on hubs (or non-VLAN capable switches).

Today, though, modern LANs often use L3 switches which eliminate most, if not all, routers.  I.e. some common LAN topology design generations were router and hub, router and switch (with or without VLANs), and now L3 switches (with or without L2 switches).

Today you might find it difficult to find any one selling new hubs.

An example of some of these device types, within the Cisco product line.

An L2 switch, 2960 series.  (NB: some models support some basic L3 switching.)

An L3 switch, 3650 series.  (NB: can also be used for just L2.)

An router, an ISR 4xxx.  (NB: some models support L2/L3 switch modules.)

BTW, although on LANs, L3 switches are often used in lieu of routers, at the WAN edge, routers are still commonly deployed.  This because they are often feature richer than a L3 switch (although also often "slower" for the same cost).

Thank you so much, this has helped a lot!

I really appreciate the time you've taken to look into this!

Is there a useful link that can tell me about the comparisons of Router-Hub Configuration and Router-Switch Configuration?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card