Views
Helpful
Replies

making VSS from 2 standalone chassis

Arjun Dabol
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I have 2 standalone chassiss (65xx) that I need to make a VSS pair. Now my Q is - do we first make those chassis as VSS pair by issuing switch domain commands etc.. OR first we configure (hostname,routing,acls, etc etc) on both chassis separately and then issue VSS commands to convert the config . ?

Thanks

Abhishek

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Firstly, you should make VSS pair. Then you should start configuration.

View solution in original post

Hi Arjun -

Sorry if I was unclear in my previous post.  Set up VSS first.  I would just start with completely blank configs.

PSC

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Paul Chapman
Level 4
Level 4

Hi -

While you can merge 2 standalone switches that are in production, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.  If you have the option of building your VSS on unconfigured switches, then take it.

If you have 2 fully configured switches, the the merge process will only bring over the interface settings from the second switch. So putting a lot of [non-interface] configuration on the 2nd switch is pretty much a waste of time.

PSC

Thanks Paul. Currently I have 2 new fresh standalone switches that i need to configure and make a VSS pair.

I am just not sure do I first make them a VSS pair and then configure OR first configure and then make as VSS pair.

Firstly, you should make VSS pair. Then you should start configuration.

Hi Arjun -

Sorry if I was unclear in my previous post.  Set up VSS first.  I would just start with completely blank configs.

PSC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco