cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A pair of Nexus 93180YC-FX Connecting to a Stack of 3650s via vPC

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi everyone ... hope everyone is doing well !!!

I have spanning-tree related questions and looking for inputs/suggestions .. thanks all in advance !!

I am attaching a new pair of Nexus 93180s to a stack of Cisco 3650s via vPC. The Cisco 3650 stack is currently the spanning-tree root on my network and I would like the Cisco 3650 stack to continue be the spanning-tree root when it's connected to the Nexus 93180s. My concern is the Nexus 93180s may become spanning-tree root and cause traffic disruption due spanning-tree convergence. My end goal is to prevent the Nexus 93180 to become spanning-tree root.

Questions,

1. Do I simply change spanning-tree priority on the Nexus 93180s to be higher than the 3650 stack ?

2. Anything in the vPC config on the Nexus 93180s that I need worry about ?

I will eventually promote the Nexus 93180s to be spanning-tree root when I am ready to retire the 3650 stack.

Thanks you all for your help !!!

Danny

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...Do I simply change spanning-tree priority on the Nexus 93180s to be higher than the 3650 stack ?

Yes, no further worries 'needed'

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

when you configure vPC - you use spanning-tree port type network for STP bridge assurance.

downlink towards edge switch config also make sure you use vPC on port-channel.

vPC best practice  for reference :

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hard so Hard to answer this Q.

Thank you very much for your inputs gents !!! very much appreciate your help !!!

Danny

I didnot meaning anything 
BUT 
it really hard 
let explain the issue 
there are two VLAN 
vPC-VLAN and non vPC-VLAN 
for vPC-VLAN the Root config in one vPC Peer and secondary Root config also in Secondary vPC Peer 
the issue come from 
the NSK Peer always make STP of vPC-Link as FWD status 
that no problem if root is one of vPC peer 
but config other SW as Root and as I mention above the vPC-Link is FWD 
this unpredictable and need more analysis how the vPC deal with this case. 
that why I say Hard to answer. 
if I get something I will update you 

Thanks MHM !!! appreciate your help as always !!!

I had a similar scenario a few years ago. I connected a pair of Nexus 7010s to a 6509 via vPC and I am pretty sure I had the Nexus 7010 as root and I don't remember experiencing any issues. That was when I migrate from the 6509 to a pair of Nexus 7010s. 

I am being cautious this time .. just making sure I am not disrupting the business when connecting the new Nexus 9k to a production Cisco 3650 stack. 

Thanks !!!

Danny

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card