cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A VLAN requires a particular internet connection.

ungachuck
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the SG500-28 28-Port Gigabit Stackable Managed Switch (Multi Layer Switch) and 2 internet connections with routers that I can't manage, 1 leased line and another ADSL. I have 2 VLANs,VLAN 20 requires access to the internet via the leased-line and VLAN 50 requires access to the ADSL. I've managed to configure this just using VLAN Access ports to each router respectively which is detailed in "separateVLANs" image. This was done using the routers interfaces as the default gateway.

However we require inter-VLAN routing, which can be configured separately with the above switch doing the routing. With my limited understanding I can only create one default route for both VLANs to access the internet, effectively pushing all internet traffic either through the leased line or the ADSL.

I've looked into PBR and VRF and from my research the switch I have doesn't perform these functions. Is there a way to basically say:

If traffic entering from VLAN 20 goes to the Leased-line connection.

If traffic entering from VLAN 50 goes to the ADSL connection.

2 Replies 2

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

If you move the gateways to the SG500 and use a default route from there, you are going to need some sort of policy based routing based on the source IP of the packets. The SG500 is not capable of PBR so you have two options as I see it:

1. Leave it as is, with the gateways on the corresponding routers

2. Purchase a switch which can do InterVlan routing and PBR, a Catalyst would be my suggestion.

Thanks

Thank you for getting back to me. I  was afraid that this was the case. I've had a look around and can't seam to find a small/medium business sized router that can perform these functions.Do you have any recommendations?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card