Views
Helpful
Replies

About Redundant Sups Synch

Dmoreno69
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

I have to add a second Sup (model WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE ) to a Cat6509 chassis. It always have had 2 Sups but one was found faulty a couple days back.

The Sup currently in use, runs cat6000-sup2k9.8-4-4.bin

Someone else was preparing the replacement for the other module and loaded cat6000-sup2k9.8-5-7.bin on it.

Now... can I leave it like that, proceed to add that Sup, binaries Sync will take place, and both will end up running cat6000-sup2k9.8-4-4.bin?

Thanks,

David M.

WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE
12 Replies 12

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

David,

In other for the sup fail over to work correctly you need to have the same OS in both sups. So you need to ha ve 8-4--4 in both sups or 8-5-7 not a combination.

HTH

Reza

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The sync can not change the image on the redundant sups. Its the configs that are synced.

When you insert a sup with different image, it will fall into RPR mode.

These are the characteristics of RPR mode:

•Startup config synced to the Standby RP

•Image not same
•Standby not fully initialized

•Running config NOT synced to the Standby RP

•Swithover time is 2 or more minutes

If you want fully redundant sup, then the images should be exactly same on both. Then they will work in SSO mode.

Please refer this link for further explanation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper09186a0080088874.html

Cheers

Sweta

Please rate the content if it was helpful.

davidmoreno69
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both for your reply. Now, I have seen some images with a standard name but starting with sync, This on some other SUP's bootflash. I was thinking that was the result of an active SUP copying it's OS image onto a just inserted SUP with a mismatching binary. That never happens then?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

The image never gets copied as a part of syncing. Only configs do.

Cheers

Sweta

Please rate the content if it was helpful.

Hi,

With supervisor engine synchronization, Because the standby supervisor engine is not fully initialized, it interacts with the active supervisor engine only to receive configuration changes as they occur, keeping the configuration information on both supervisor engines identical. This synchronization of the startup configuration file is enabled by default in RPR mode. You cannot enter CLI commands on the standby supervisor engine.

When a standby supervisor engine is running in RPR mode, the following operations trigger synchronization of the configuration information:

When a standby supervisor engine first comes online, the configuration information is synchronized from the active supervisor engine to the standby supervisor engine. This synchronization overwrites any existing startup configuration file on the standby supervisor engine.

If the auto-synch command is enabled, changes to the startup configuration on the active supervisor engine are automatically synchronized on the standby supervisor.

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Dmoreno69
Level 1
Level 1

What could generate those BTSYNCH and RTSYNC images?

This is what I refer to:

[SwitchName]> (enable) whichboot

Boot image name is 'bootflash:BTSYNC_cat6000-sup2k9.8-4-4.bin'.

[SwitchName]> (enable)

[SwitchName]> (enable)

[SwitchName]> (enable) sh boot

BOOT variable = bootflash:BTSYNC_cat6000-sup2k9.8-4-4.bin,1;slot0:cat6000-sup2.6

-4-13.bin,1;bootflash:RTSYNC_cat6000-sup2.6-4-4a.bin,1;bootflash:cat6000-sup2k8.

8-4-1.bin,1;

CONFIG_FILE variable =

Configuration register is 0x2102

ignore-config: disabled

auto-config: non-recurring, overwrite, sync disabled

ROMMON console baud: 9600

boot: image specified by the boot system commands

Image auto sync is enabled

Image auto sync timer is 2 seconds

[SwitchName]> (enable)

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks!

Hi ,

I believe high availability is configured on these switches.

Could you share the following from your switch:

- show system highavailability

If you have MSFCs installed, could you send me the following from the
MSFC

- show redundancy

- show standby

- show run

Cheers

Somu

Thanks! I have attached to the original post, the Show System HighAvailability output and the Redundancy as well.

Hi

i hope the below mentioned link answers your queries.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper09186a0080088874.html

Also from the output attached, i see the switch operates with a single supervisor engine.

"Peer (slot: 1) information is not available because it is in 'DISABLED' state"

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Somu

Pls rate this answer if you found the content was useful

Thanks. There are 2 SUPs on that chassis.

The currently active is to be replaced cuz it was found faulty (no idea what issue was found on it).

I cannot open any URL like ..partners/collateral/...  it errors out as forbidden. Do you know why or what access I need? I am logged on with my CCO.

David M.

Hi,

I have attached the pdf file for your reference.

Cheers

Somu

Pls rate this answer if you found the content was useful

I really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

David M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card