interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

ip access-group 101 out

!

access-list 101 deny ip any any

!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Given the configs shown in the original post R2 will be able to ping R1 and I am guessing that this (or something very similar) is what leads the original poster to say that the ACL is not working.

The issue here is that an access list applied outbound on an interface will not process traffic that is generated by the router itself. The ACL shown will be very effective in preventing transit traffic (traffic that came from somewhere to R2 and to be forwarded out f0/0). But it will not work on packets generated by R2.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mukeshcu1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello rcpoemrvt,

You are applied access-list on R2's FastEthernet0/0 interface outbound direction. 

This configuration is perfect.. Please let me know how you are checking and what issue you are facing.

Also check you are getting hits in access-list or not.

Given the configs shown in the original post R2 will be able to ping R1 and I am guessing that this (or something very similar) is what leads the original poster to say that the ACL is not working.

The issue here is that an access list applied outbound on an interface will not process traffic that is generated by the router itself. The ACL shown will be very effective in preventing transit traffic (traffic that came from somewhere to R2 and to be forwarded out f0/0). But it will not work on packets generated by R2.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card