Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Point Not Working

I have a Cisco 1921 (main router) setup for Internet access and tied into a switch for the LAN. I have a router (Buffalo) configured basically as a remote access point, hard wired to the switch, with an IP & subnet mask on the LAN, but with no gateway listed. This worked perfectly before I switched the old main router our with the Cisco. All computers that are hard wired to the switch have no problems, but any computers using the WiFi on the remote router can not hit the internet. The settings (basic ones) are listed below:

Cisco:

WAN: 70.XXX.XXX.91, 255.255.255.240, 70.XXX.XXX.81
LAN: 192.168.40.1

Remote Router:

No WAN
LAN: 192.168.40.200, 255.255.255.0, no Gateway

We use no DHCP at all, and all computers and laptops have static IP's of 192.168.40.XXX pointing to the .1 gateway. Again, before I took the old main router out to put in the better Cisco router, everything worked perfectly and nothing has changed except for swapping the main router.

**EDIT - Wow!  I have always gotten quick responses so I think I am in trouble here! I have no idea if something is missing from the Cisco to allow the access point to work or not, but I have no idea!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Sounds like for the you need to apply some network address translation ( NAT)

On the Cisco router

int x/x
description WAN interface
ip address 70.XXX.XXX.91 255.255.255.240
ip nat outside
exit

int x/x
description LAN interface
ip address 192.168.40.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
exit

access-list permit 10 ip 192.168.40.0 0.0.0.255

ip nat inside source list 10 interface <wan interface> overload

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
<wan interface> 70.XXX.XXX.81

Remote router
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.40.1

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello

Sounds like for the you need to apply some network address translation ( NAT)

On the Cisco router

int x/x
description WAN interface
ip address 70.XXX.XXX.91 255.255.255.240
ip nat outside
exit

int x/x
description LAN interface
ip address 192.168.40.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
exit

access-list permit 10 ip 192.168.40.0 0.0.0.255

ip nat inside source list 10 interface <wan interface> overload

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
<wan interface> 70.XXX.XXX.81

Remote router
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.40.1

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

The only thing missing is the last line in the Cisco router and the only line you show to add for the remote router. I will add them this weekend when no one is using the system and update. Thanks for the reply - I was beginning to think I was on my own!

Thanks

Hello Anthony

Dont get disheartened if you do not receive a reply promptly - This forum is all voluntary and we all post/answer questions when we can.-- Its a great forum and the technical experience of these guys is invaluable and absolutely free !

I am sure your query will get resolved if not from me maybe by another!

all the best

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Oh, no - I didn't mean it like that!  I appreciate ALL the help I get, what I meant was that since I hadn't had any responses, it was something that nobody knew how to correct - that's what I meant by "...I was in trouble..."!

Thanks

Sorry to bother you - just wanted to let you know that I had to move to an emergency project so we have been struggling along with the old router. I am hoping to be able to put in the commands you told me to use this weekend and switch out the routers and will mark the answer as correct when done. Didn't want you to think I was one of those who gets the help then moves on without appreciation!

Thank you - finally got back to this issue and your commands in the remote router was what I needed!  All works like a charm now!  Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card