Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Restricted but Need to separate Network

topgun2631
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts!

Our parent company is managing the network infrastructure and don't let us touch anything. We don't have access in managing any devices. We have physical access to the switches, I tried accessing the switches using console but there is a password.

Our domain, exchange and other servers are in parent company. So we want to remain connected to them.

Our GM instructed me to install a server in a separate network than of parent company without the parent company knowing about it, and they should not have access to that network.

I have authority to buy 1-2 router/switch and server for this task.

What could be the best way for me to install the new server where our only 4-5 users can have access to the newly installed server and also remain connected with parent company?

Can I sneak into the existing switches to get access without changing the password and configurations?

I thought of having a NAT configuration in a newly bought switch which will have separate vlan where we will have our server and these users.

But I realize that there is no NAT available in catalyst switches unless if it is 6500 series switch.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

1 Reply 1

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

I suspect nobody has replied because you should not be trying to bypass the parent company.

There are obviously politics involved but if you want to do something, you need to involve them.

Choosing to try and circumvent their protocols and procedures could have serious ramifications on your current job and future career prospects.

There are ways of connecting your network with theirs but you need to speak to them first. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card