Views
Helpful
Replies

Access/Wiring closet switch selection

S891
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I am looking for options for Access/wiring closet switches for our campus. We currently have 6509-E chassis Dual Sup720s and 6548 line cards. Since  this setup is 6 years old and Cisco has stopped supporting PoE line cards after 6548 EOL we are forced to migrate to another switch platform. 

We need 2 10/40-Gig uplink and approx 240 1-Gig POE+/UPOE user ports. We also need to support Cisco IP Phones, APs, Wire speed, IPv4, IPv6, Security, QoS, multicast, monitoring, Hot Swappable, Virtual Chassis Support (nice to have), AV devices requiring AVB support (nice to have), ISSU (nice to have),...etc. 

Basically looking for all new advanced features and also very importantly it has to be able to support long term (at least 5 - 6 years). 

What are other vendors product I can compare with? 

Thanks,

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you considered the 6500/6800 IA solution?

Not sure how does it work and how it solves the 6500 replacement issue!

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

IAs are PoE switches that connect to a 6500/6800 that are managed as interfaces on the 6500/600.  They can be connected by fiber, so you can have them anywhere from same rack to across town.  They also can stack several units locally (so you don't need to have uplinks from each unit).  They are sort of the 6500/6800 version of Nexus FEXs.

[edit]

I.e. you don't have to replace you 6500 you can upgrade it.

I am considering 4510E+R for wiring closet. They are cheap as compared to our existing 6509E in wiring closet. The 4510 with Dual SUP8E should be good enough. There is no 40gig SUP yet? Is this forthcoming?

What other switch considerations are possible other than Cisco?

No 40Gig yet, but 8 1/10Gig

I just got 10 4510s that will go into production in a couple of months.

What other switch considerations are possible other than Cisco?

have a look at the EX series:

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/switching/ex-series/compare/

HTH

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

We also use 4500s, although we use sup7s, as we don't need the wireless support.  They do work well for closets.

They're cheaper because they don't have all the features or performance of the 6500s, but again, they work well for user edge.

There are lots of other vendors that offer switches that compete with Cisco.  They're often cost (much) less, but in my experience, they more often have bugs than Cisco devices, and it takes the vendor longer to correct them, if ever.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Fawad,

If native 40Gig uplink is a requirement than you can't use the 6500, 6800, 4500 switches because they don't come with native 40Gig uplinks and at the same time have the same port density (240 1-Gig) that you need.

one option is to stack the new 3850 Mgig switches (they are not order-able yet) and use 2 40Gig for uplinks. I personally don't like the stacking that much and rather use a chassis for this amount of ports.

Also, if you can effort to use multiple 10Gig, than one option is the 4500 series with sup-8E.  The sup comes with 8 1/10 gig ports and it will provide the port density (240 1-Gig) you need. If you put 2 sups in a chassis, you can use up to 4 10Gig interfaces from both sups and put them in a Portchannel. 

As for other vendors, Juniper switches and routers are great and when it comes to software Cisco can't even come close to JUNOS. If you can use 10Gig uplinks the 8200 series and the 9200 series(can be virtualized)  are great boxes.

HTH

Hi Reza,

I do not have hardcore 40 Gig uplink requirement but I do need high 1G port density. I am more concerned about the features I mentioned and longevity of these devices. I am evaluating 4500-E vs Juniper EX6200. You probably right for Juniper. Is there any compatibitlity issue if you ahev cisco gear interworkign with Juniper? 

Is there any good document for comparison between two (Juniper/Cisco)?

Hi Fawad,

I don't know of any document comparing the vendors, but I know that juniper devices are solid specialty when it comes to software.  As for mixing the 2 vendors together, usually that is not an issue (I have that environment right now) as long as you are running the same type of STP, but if you can its better to avoid it.  The one problem you run into when you have multiple vendors in the mix is that each try to blame the other guy, but when you only have one vendor it is so much easier to get them to help you.

edit: also easier management with one vendor.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card