cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing LAN computer over the internet

simardeepsingh3
Level 1
Level 1

My workplace computer is over the LAN and has local ip address and is connected to internet via a common gateway. If I want to connect to my workplace PC from my home PC using ssh or any other remote access method, How can I do that ? Assuming that ssh is allowed and will not be stopped by Firewall.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I understand his requirement, but as have also mentioned that, he needs permission from organization to host VPN server on his machine, which mostly he will not get (generally) only limited persons get company VPN access.

And what I said is possible, may be you didn't get it, and I said that because I am doing that sucessfully.

Let me clear what I do:

What I do is, I have my VPN server on my home laptop, while going from office, I start connecting to that home VPN server, and in configuration I have kept it to infinite tries, and use dynamic host name service to avoid purchase static IP.

So when I go home and start my VPN server, the office machines gets connected to my VPN server (as it keep on trying to connect my home machine), and then I can access everything of my machine.

So from home I can access my workstation machine, or take remote of that.

I am using OpenVPN Server and Client for this.

For any kind of access to his workstation machine requires port to be open in his office network, so the only way out is to send request from inside network to outside. Because by-default no ports are open from outside to inside network, but from inside few ports are open to outside network (public) like HTTP (80), HTTPS (443) or FTP may be. So his request can go out on these port numbers and then tunnel will be formed within that port number between which whole data is travel. But if he send any request from outside to his workstation machine, that packet will be dropped on his company's router, because NAT is being used and firewall's are there.

Please contact for any futher clarification.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

blau grana
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

I assume you do not have priviledge to configure portforward of 22 port on gateway or static NAT 1:1.

If you have static public IP at home, you can initiate connection from work, but it needs to be still up, so you can use it whenever from home.

If you do not have static public IP, you can use applications like teamviewer so you will access tour PC via somw third-party server.

Best Regards

Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

Best Regards Please rate all helpful posts and close solved questions

hello
assuming these are windows pcs and no FW is prohibiting access

You can use RDP in windows -Remote assistance or remote control features

Res
paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Sakun Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Simrandeep,

The best way out is using VPN. I also do the same, I hosted VPN server on my laptop at home, and from office I connect to my VPN server at home. After VPN connection is established, both the machines are in same network, you can do anything to remotely access - RDP, SSH, VNC etc etc.

You can use freeware VPN Servers like OpenVPN also it can work thorugh office proxy.

You can host your VPN Server at home with common ports like 80 or 443, because these ports will always be allowed from office proxy and you can encrypt the data also.

Other options are, TeamViewer, Ammy Admin, etc also if you have privledges, you can forward 3389 (RDP) port to your machine and then from home you can connect to your workspace public IP over RDP, it will work.

Hi Sakun,

Simardeep's question was on how to initiate a remote connect from his home pc to his work pc, not the other way around. So the VPN server will have to somehow be installed on his work pc(if possible), with a VPN client software installed on his home pc to initiate the remote connection from home.

Making your home pc a VPN server and initiating a remote connection from your work pc to home will not work by the time you reach home, as the remote connection will time-out due to inactive session (assuming you do not live 5mins away from work).

Either way, Simardeep - have you addressed your concern to your work network admin?

There's options to achieve what your after, but depends on the permission's granted by your office admin policies. Also, is your work pc a client in an Active Directory domain? If yes, you may not have permission's to install any software on your work pc - you will know best.

Please contact us if you have any other questions.

Hi,

I understand his requirement, but as have also mentioned that, he needs permission from organization to host VPN server on his machine, which mostly he will not get (generally) only limited persons get company VPN access.

And what I said is possible, may be you didn't get it, and I said that because I am doing that sucessfully.

Let me clear what I do:

What I do is, I have my VPN server on my home laptop, while going from office, I start connecting to that home VPN server, and in configuration I have kept it to infinite tries, and use dynamic host name service to avoid purchase static IP.

So when I go home and start my VPN server, the office machines gets connected to my VPN server (as it keep on trying to connect my home machine), and then I can access everything of my machine.

So from home I can access my workstation machine, or take remote of that.

I am using OpenVPN Server and Client for this.

For any kind of access to his workstation machine requires port to be open in his office network, so the only way out is to send request from inside network to outside. Because by-default no ports are open from outside to inside network, but from inside few ports are open to outside network (public) like HTTP (80), HTTPS (443) or FTP may be. So his request can go out on these port numbers and then tunnel will be formed within that port number between which whole data is travel. But if he send any request from outside to his workstation machine, that packet will be dropped on his company's router, because NAT is being used and firewall's are there.

Please contact for any futher clarification.

Thanks Sakun. Your 2nd response is very clear.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Your Welcome.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card