Views
Helpful
Replies

ACL question

afsharki2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a device with ip 1.1.1.1 that *attempts* to connect to my 4500x switch every once in a while.

The problem is, every time it attempts to connect, the following log pops up on the 4500x:

%SSH-3-NO_MATCH: No matching hostkey algorithm found: client ssh-dss server ssh-rsa

I wanted to setup an ACL on my 4500x that prints a log everytime this device 1.1.1.1. tries to connect.  Although the "sh logging" does not show the IP of the device, I want to verify it for sure.

Thank you

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It should not be difficult to configure an access list that will generate log messages for each attempt to connect from source address 1.1.1.1. But there are a few things that you need to decide about how you want the access list to work.

- the access list must permit or must deny the packet. Do you want to permit or to deny in the access list?

- clearly we need to check for attempts with SSH. But do we need to check for other protocols as well?

- you want to see attempts to access this 4500 but not attempts to access any other device. So you need to supply a list of all of the IP addresses that might be used to access this 4500. (probably the output of show ip interface brief is the place to start)

- note that adding the log parameter to an ACL entry forces matching packets to be process switched. Is the potential performance impact acceptable? (probably not a lot of impact but we will not know till we have tried it)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card