cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACLs - Access List statements?

Carlos Gomez
Level 1
Level 1

I'm taking a CCNA class and a classmate asked me why we have to begin the statements with the same command for the same access list? Would not be better to have a configuration mode for the access list you just created? For instance, when you want to configure F0/0, you type #conf t, and then (config)# int f0/0 and every command you enter next it will go under that interface. What he is saying is to type, for example, # conf t, (config)# access list 100, (config-acc)# and from there, permit or deny.....and everything falls under access list 100. If you want to switch to other access list, just type # access list and the number. My answer was, they must have a special reason rather than just letting you specify what statement goes for what access list, but that doesn't quite satisfies what now we want to know. Could anybody give us a good explanation or better answer? Thank you for you time!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Carlos,

this is already implemented when you use named ACLs they work in the way you and your colleague are discussing with a specific configuration context

the numbered ACLs have not their specific context so the access-list number is required at the beginning of each statement

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps1018/products_tech_note09186a00800a5b9a.shtml#ipnamacl

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Carlos,

this is already implemented when you use named ACLs they work in the way you and your colleague are discussing with a specific configuration context

the numbered ACLs have not their specific context so the access-list number is required at the beginning of each statement

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps1018/products_tech_note09186a00800a5b9a.shtml#ipnamacl

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you, I can see further in the book when they explain the named acls, is exactly what we were talking about. Thank you again for your fast reply.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card