cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

active-passive failover configuration

ravi mishra
Level 1
Level 1

my organization has a network A with ip 172.16.x.x and network B with ip 192.168.x.x.

the network A has stack of a L3 switch, cyberoam 51ia and then connection to servers.

what i want to do is establish a failover link from network B router to network A so that the connection remains active during network failure from 1 ISP.

how can i configure it??..

4 Replies 4

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You're going to need to use some sort of dynamic routing protocol to decide when the routes to your isp are no longer available. Are these public ISPs? Are you on an mpls network with private side addressing on your wan links? What kind of equipment are you working with? A diagram would be good, but specifically spelling out what needs to be done and telling you every line to type into your routers is not going to be easy in a public forum like this. If you don't have experience in this, I'd recommend finding someone local that can help.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

yes those are public ISPs and we are on private addressing .i am not practically in touch with these stuffs, just a beginner.

dynamic routing protocols ,i guess can be implemented just between routers but i am looking for a backup solution that connects the other ISP network B as a failover to network A at the cyberoam level(nw A) and router(nw B) but that might need me to have 2 gateways(one for nw A and other for nw B) and my concern is that my servers wont be intelligent enough to switch the gateways.

for another option,i studied on the HSRP implementation but still doubtful whether it will work between the switch(nw B) and router(nw A).

Being that this is a very advanced topic, I'd highly recommend you find someone local to help you with this. It would save a lot of frustration and possible downtime/loss of production...

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

ok,thks for the response sir

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card