Views
Helpful
Replies

Add another Switch, How to configure?

mareckert
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I'm new to the community and not much familiar with Cisco-Switches.

So far we have a Cisco C3560X switch (SW1) in our network and now we get a new segment, for which a C3560G (SW2) will be used. With the SW1, 4 VLANs are configured, the routing is activated and VLAN routes are active.

If we connect SW2 with a trunk port to SW1, do we have to add and configure all VLANs and routes to SW2 again or does SW2 take the VLANs and routing settings from SW1 automatically?

Thanks in advance, for your help.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

It sounds like SW will not be doing any routing. In which case just create the VLANs on SW2 and ensure they are tagged on both ends of the trunk port between SW1 and SW2.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

Yes, just add the VLAN definitions:

!
vlan xx
!
vlan yy
!

On the trunk port, if you do not explicitly specify the allowed VLAN list it will trunk all available VLANs:

!
int gi1/0/1
  switchport mode trunk
  no shut
!

..or..

!
int gi1/0/1
  switchport mode trunk
  switchport trunk allowed vlan xx, yy
  no shut
!

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

It sounds like SW will not be doing any routing. In which case just create the VLANs on SW2 and ensure they are tagged on both ends of the trunk port between SW1 and SW2.

cheers,

Seb.

Thanks for quick reply!

@Seb Rupik wrote:

It sounds like SW will not be doing any routing

Yes, SW2 shouln't do any routing. This should be done only from SW1.

@Seb Rupik wrote:

In which case just create the VLANs on SW2 and ensure they are tagged on both ends of the trunk port between SW1 and SW2.

So i have to create only the VLANs without any additional informations, like ip-adresses of the vlan e.g.?

How can I ensue the tagged vlans on the ports? I thought all vlans should be available on a trunk port?!

Yes, just add the VLAN definitions:

!
vlan xx
!
vlan yy
!

On the trunk port, if you do not explicitly specify the allowed VLAN list it will trunk all available VLANs:

!
int gi1/0/1
  switchport mode trunk
  no shut
!

..or..

!
int gi1/0/1
  switchport mode trunk
  switchport trunk allowed vlan xx, yy
  no shut
!