cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Add Cisco Switch into a configuration

SJNIII
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Dell 6248 switch with three VLANS defined (1,2,10).

I need to expand VLAN 10 (need more ports) on the Dell Switch.

I have downloaded the Cisco CNA.

In the attached screen of the CNA, am I on the correct display to create a new VLAN 10 ?

What is the best way to connect the Dell Switch to the Cisco?  

thanks

6 Replies 6

Martin Carr
Level 4
Level 4

I use the CLI, I guess from that you have set 21-24 in VLAN 10 and by default there 'All'?

If you connect the switch to a interface in VLAN 10 on the Dell your entire new switch will be in this VLAN, which is what you requested.

Ideally it should have multiple connections for redundancy and aggregation but that's another discussion.

Problems you may encounter are related to spanning-tree, i.e. your new switch being elected to become the root, but your Dell should have been configured to mitigate such issues.

I don't know if Dell have something similar to Cisco's 'BPDU-guard', more on this below.

This should be configured on access ports and if a BPDU is received (Which it shouldn't be) it will shut down the the interface, so you would need to reconfigure the interface on the Dell if this were the case.

Martin

Yes, so far 21-24 are in VLAN 10, but I will need to set a few more .

This is bit more complicated.

What I am looking at an old test and dev virtual infrastructure configuration that was set up with a 1GB Linksys Switch and a Dell 6248 Switch.

The reason given for the Linksys in the config is it was the only 1GB switch available at the time when the SAN had to be installed and there were no more available ports on the 6248. Running Dell Dpack reports show latency issues when migrating from an EqualLogic Volume to a MD3200 volume and from the MD3200 to Md3200 volumes (on the order of 30-45 minutes for a 20GB VM). Migrating from EqualLogic volumes to EqualLogic volumes is in seconds.

I think the Linksys is the issue as does our Dell reps. We are looking at replacing the Linksys with a Cisco or another L2/L3.

SAN traffic is isolated to VLAN 10 on the Dell Switch. I want to set up a VLAN 10 on the Cisco switch and then want to connect the Md3200 to the Cisco which will be connected to VLAN 10 on the Dell Switch for access to an EqualLogic SAN.  I am not sure what will be involved.

Is it as simple as what you are saying,, I config the VLAN10 on the Cisco switch and connect a port from the Cisco to VLAN 10 on the Dell Switch.. .

I have a diagram attached,,,it needs some updates but it is close to the config.

Yes, it's will just extend that VLAN onto the new switch.

Martin

I am still working the connection. 

The Dell Switch has a Setting Under Spanning Tree - Global Settings --

BPDU Handling (set to flooding) 

STP BPDU Protection set to Disable.

The Dell Switch is handling the EquaLogic SAN traffic in VLAN 10 without any issues, sio I do not know if I need to change teh Dell Switch Settings?

What is the Cisco CLI to show what VLAN a port is residing in and it characteristics?

'Show VLAN' will show you port assignment, these are access ports.

The BPDU protection will be the equivalent of what I mentioned earlier.

Martin

ok,

attached is a screen showing the CNA and CLI

CNA shows ports 21-24 to be in VLAN10

the putty session connected to the switch shows a VLAN10, but the ports are oin  VLAN1?

my plan is to get the ports into VLAN10 on the Cisco, connect t one of those ports to VLAN10 on the Dell Switch and see if this helps with the response time for migrating VMs..

Am I missing anything?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card