cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

adding 3750 rma into stack w/ different code

Thompso7540_2
Level 1
Level 1

i have a failed c3750g-24ts and i need to replace it w/ my new rma - the current master is running c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE3.bin and my rma is running c3750-ipservices-mz.122-35.SE5 - it is difficult for me to upgrade the code on teh rma, because it is not local and i'm doing it all through console cable and rdp and remote hands

if i add the rma into the stack will it come up w/ version mismatch? I want to use auto upgrade but it's showing as disabled - could i just copy the code from flash1: to flash2: and do the boot system command for the new switch? Or is that a moot point since it would even join the stack?

from current master:

workingswitch#show boot
BOOT path-list      : flash:c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE3.bin
Config file         : flash:/config.text
Private Config file : flash:/private-config.text
Enable Break        : no
Manual Boot         : no
HELPER path-list    :
Auto upgrade        : yes
Auto upgrade path   :
Timeout for Config
          Download:    0 seconds
Config Download
       via DHCP:       disabled (next boot: disabled)

frm rma:

witch#show boot
BOOT path-list      : flash:/c3750-ipservices-mz.122-35.SE5/c3750-ipservices-mz.
122-35.SE5.bin
Config file         : flash:/config.text
Private Config file : flash:/private-config.text
Enable Break        : no
Manual Boot         : no
HELPER path-list    :
Auto upgrade        : yes
Auto upgrade path   :
Switch#

1 Reply 1

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Switches with the same major version number but with a different minor version number as the stack master are considered partially compatible. When connected to a switch stack, a partially compatible switch enters version-mismatch (VM) mode and cannot join the stack as a fully functional member. The software detects the mismatched software and tries to upgrade (or downgrade) the switch in VM mode with the switch stack image or with a tar file image from the switch stack flash memory. The software uses the automatic upgrade (auto-upgrade) and the automatic advise (auto-advise) features.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml#conf

regards,

Leo

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card