Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a New OID to an Existing MIB File - Need Guidance

AdminMIB
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco community,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm currently working on extending an existing MIB file to include a new OID for a specific network device, and I could use some guidance on the process. I've been a long-time user of Cisco products and know that this community has a wealth of knowledge, so I thought I'd reach out for some expert advice.

Here's my situation:

I have an existing MIB file that I need to augment with a new OID to monitor a custom application running on one of our Cisco devices. I want to make sure I do this correctly to ensure seamless integration with our network management system.

Questions:

1. Where should I start? Are there any specific Cisco resources or documentation that can guide me through this process?

2. What tools should I use for OID management and MIB compilation? Are there any recommended tools or best practices for this?

3. What are the steps involved in adding a new OID to an existing MIB file? I want to make sure I understand the process thoroughly before making any changes.

4. Are there any potential pitfalls or common mistakes I should be aware of? I want to avoid any issues that might disrupt our network monitoring.

5. Do you have any tips for testing the new OID once it's added to the MIB file?

I truly appreciate any guidance, suggestions, or examples you can provide. This is a critical task for our network management, and I want to ensure it's done right. If anyone has experience with extending MIBs or adding custom OIDs to Cisco devices, your insights would be invaluable.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards, 
AdminMIB

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You can't add an OID to a MIB file ; the mib file represents the available  OID's for a particular function on the target device that will be queried with snmp.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You can't add an OID to a MIB file ; the mib file represents the available  OID's for a particular function on the target device that will be queried with snmp.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card