cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding N5K-M1600 Module to Existing Nexus 5010 Switches

David Goldsmith
Level 1
Level 1

From the "Cisco Nexus 5000 Series Hardware Installation Guide", I see that for 5010 model switches, "the chassis supports hot swapping of the expansion modules."  This makes me think that if the switch was booted up with a module in place and it then had issues, then I can pull the module out and replace it.

What about a running switch that does not current have an expansion module installed?  Can I simply insert an N5K-M1600 6-port SFP+ module and have it show up in the "show run" output, or does the switch need to be powered off, module inserted and switch rebooted?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/hw/installation/guide/nexus_5000_hig/overview5500.html#pgfId-1261680

Thanks,
Dave

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I think your assumption is correct as the documents say:

"The chassis supports hot swapping of the expansion modules"

Which means any expansion module is hot swappable.

But I would still do it in a maintenance window just in case something goes wrong.

HTH

Nicolas Rousset
Level 1
Level 1

Hello David,

Same situation for me.

I think you have done this operation now.

Is it ok ? Hot swappable without reboot ?

Thanks,

Adrien

Nicolas,

Yes, the module was detected after it was inserted.  We removed the filler plate, inserted the module, saw a couple of log messages on the console, ran "show run" and saw the new module ports listed in the output.

We did not have to reboot the switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card