cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding second supervisor card to 4510R+E

William Hoover
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 4510R+E switches, one is just as a cold standby. I would like to remove the supervisor card from the standby and add it as a redundant supervisor to the switch that is running. The standby was configured with an IP and some other minimal settings, what would I have to do set it up as a redundant card for the production switch. They are both a WS-X45-SUP8-E card. Do I have to wipe it first? If I add it to the switch with a config will it try to run as another switch in that same chassis? Did some searching and did not find an answer.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

As long as you have the same exact IOS installed in both sups, you should be fine.  If you want, you can also remove all the existing config from the second sup before inserting it in the chassis, but even without it the first sup (active) will sync its config to the new stand-by sup and replace the old config.  Once all setup check with "sh redun" command to make sure the first sup is active and the second sup is on stand-by or hot.

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

As long as you have the same exact IOS installed in both sups, you should be fine.  If you want, you can also remove all the existing config from the second sup before inserting it in the chassis, but even without it the first sup (active) will sync its config to the new stand-by sup and replace the old config.  Once all setup check with "sh redun" command to make sure the first sup is active and the second sup is on stand-by or hot.

HTH

Hi Reza,

If we install new second suppervisor using different OS version with existing sup ( active ), what happened ?

Should we upgrade to same version first?

Thank You

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card