Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice for Routing lab setup (ICND1)

aLeffingwell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

This question may sound silly, I apologize in advance for offending any discerning network tech's out there

I just start studying routing for the ICND1 - I purchased a few routers as part of a lab bundle - they're 2600 series routers.  If the function of the router is to connect networks, how can I do that with only 1 fast ethernet port?  It does have two serial ports (which I assumed were for connecting multiple routers together?), it does have a WIC expansion card that allows it to take a T1 line in.

So is the point of a device like this just to grant internet access or connectivity to whatever is on the other end of the T1 line coming in?? For my own experimentation I'd like to basically have one switch on one subnet linking up to the router and another switch on another subnet linking into the router and practicing routing between the two subnets.  That being said, I did notice that there are AIM cards that can add say 1, 2, or 4 ethernet ports to the 2600 series but they are practically the same cost as the router, so I'm wondering if what I'm trying to do is out of the norm or if I shouldn't just invest in a 2-fast ethernet port router for what I'm trying to accomplish, and save the ones I currently have for WAN related things.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

joelgooding
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The 2600's are popular routers for trainin kits. You are correct in what you are saying, you should have a fastethernet port or two if its a 2610 router. Can you post some pics of the kit?

Joel

Joel _______________________________ Please rate helpful posts and answered questions!

Yeah definitely!  When I get home I'll get some pictures of my setup, I would LOVE some feedback. 

Hmm 2610 I'll have to look into, I am thinking though that a 4 port ethernet AIM or equivalent would be the way to go - pending the price of the 2610, that way I get 4 fast ethernet ports to rock out on.

In the mean time for anyone reading this wondering the same thing, I bought the ICND1 Labs from cisco learning labs - as a supplement to a class my company is paying for, and they rock.  I think if you don't have the gear, dropping $50 on the labs is a good way to go to get your hands on equipment that has the topologies already in place.  Anyway - just some advice

ALAN

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card