Views
Helpful
Replies

allow mulitcast traffic on firewall between two cisco wan router

syjeon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

It's regarding multicast subject. but, I think it is also a part of LAN switching so.. I'm asking in here..

the topology is like below.

<Site A> -(eigrp)- WAN(Cisco) -- Checkpoint Firewall -- WAN(Cisco) - Datacenter(residing somewhere of multicast source)

My question is if the multicast source need to send from datacenter to Site A, Which rule may require on firewall? Do we have to set up the new rule to allow multicast traffic? if so, can we make the rule as source(mulitcast source) and destination 'any' to allow like this?

I would like to know how firewall operate to allow the multicast on the other site as reference... any good idea and tip will welcome :)

1 Reply 1

allagulov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Multicast is works like this:

Group address(224.x.x.x part) is the destination 

Sender ip address is the source.

So when anyone is whiling to watch a video stream on address 224.1.2.3  it sends a message to that address. And when it joins it receives frames for that address.

so source address is always sending host ip address and destination is a group address so simple rule would be permit ip from "datacenter server ip address" to 224.1.2.3 and permit ip from any to 224.1.2.3

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card