Views
Helpful
Replies

Allow Multicast IP packets through router

mustafa.chelik
Level 1
Level 1

I have very simple network: PC-1 -> Cisco 2900 Series Router <- PC-2

PC-1 streams a video with 234.5.5.5:4000 IP/Port and PC-2 should receive and render it. But by default the router doesn't route multicast packets to other side. I found some information for this like ip multicast-routing, but it didn't work. Can someone tell me exact commands to enable multicasting in Cisco 2900 Series Router?

Thank you

20 Replies 20

Hmm... so you mean that player should send this message, right? What is my player doesn't send the message you are talking about? Can I force router to route the packets anyway?

I use VLC but it's a little old version. I'll test it with latest version and come back.

Thank you very much

It worked. Thank you very much Jon.

To be honest, sometimes I did not open VLC to see the result. Sometimes I just opened WireShark in the other PC to observe incoming packets. So I should opened VLC because VLC sends multicast join message. I write these to people who will find this thread.

Can you tell me how to limit multicast ip addresses?

Thank you very much

Glad to hear it is working..

What exactly do you mean by limiting multicast IP addresses ?

Jon

Now every multicast packet will go through router. How can I allow only one address (for example only 234.5.5.5)? You told me before that I should do it using ACL.

Thank you very much

You can use an acl along the lines of -

access-list 101 permit ip any host 234.5.5.5
access-list 101 deny ip any 224.0.0.0 15.255.255.255
access-list 101 permit ip any any

and then apply it inbound to your interface on the router.

Jon

Ok, I will try it tomorrow at office. Thank you very much Jon.

Best wishes

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card