Views
Helpful
Replies

Anything wrong going all EIGRP?

mmmartin823
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I'm a bit new to networking, but I have question that I've been wondering about...

If you are running EIGRP in your network (which seems MUCH simpler than OSPF), is there any reason to also configure OSPF on any interfaces if you are going solely all Cisco devices in your network?  

I'm trying to understand why we would want to add complexity with your architecture with OSPF if we can just run EIGRP on everything.

thanks!

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

There is no need to use any other protocol beside EIGRP if you are using only Cisco devices.  If you are connecting a Cisco device to a non-Cisco device and want to use IGP, it needs to be OSPF or ISIS as other vendors don't support EIGRP. You can also run OSPF on all Cisco device and no need for a second routing protocol. So, you only need to run one protocol unless you are interfacing with other vendors or other Cisco devices that run a different protocol.

HTH

Hi

I agree with Reza if your infrastructure is built with Cisco devices you could use EIGRP only, because it is Cisco proprietary, I remember rumors that EIGRP could be an open standard to be used on differents manufacters as well.  OSPF or other Routing Protocol could be used if you have other brands, other case could be if you are merging 2 companies and you want to enable the communication between them through redistribution. 

Other reason could be someone configured that a time ago and it is not longer used.

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Like the other posters have noted, sure you can use EIGRP alone. As they also noted, historically it's been proprietary to Cisco, so effectively you lock yourself to using Cisco equipment.

That said, I'm unsure OSPF is really much more complex that EIGRP. Both are pretty strait forward to configure in small topologies. Both become more complex when dealing with large topologies.

sathvik k v
Level 3
Level 3
EIGRP vs OSPF debate, remember both are great protocols, each with its strengths and its weaknesses. It depends on how you design you network keeping in mind the path ahead.

Personally i prefer OSPF and feel it has more control for a larger network. If you are running to protocols for example BGP in WAN and any IGP for LAN for smaller sites i would prefer EIGRP+BGP.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card