cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

are hubs ok in a network?

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

currently i have a branch with over 15 racks and each one is using a small 8 port hub which connects to my main switches. As replacing them with switches would be expensive I was wondering if it is ok to have hubs in the network environment for small separate locations?

28 Replies 28

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@baselzind wrote:
if it is ok to have hubs in the network environment

Same answer I always provide if any of us are asked the question:  F**k, NO!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on how "busy" the hub connected hosts are and whether traffic is north-south vs. east-west.

If hosts are typical users, odds are in your favor.

In cases when not, try replacing hub with "consumer/home" unmanaged 8 port switch.

BTW, you're sure your "hubs" are not switches (as real hubs are rare to find now a days)?

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

I'm not quiet sure of their type and need further inspection However in case they are actually unmanaged cheap switches are they ok to keep connected to the network?

There is no place for an "unmanaged" hub/switch in the network.

Okay?

Most would say no, and for good reasons.

However sometimes funding is very limited.  If choice is do nothing vs. doing something (less than ideal), I'll do the latter.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- In modern networks , hubs are 'far outdated'  , look for switches in the small business 'sector' (e.g.) , several arguments can be provided , one of the most important ones is Network Access Control (e.g.)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

please would someone clarify what harm can a hub or an unamanged switch do to a network?

- Switches provide network segregation of hosts , providing better  and more performant network services,  better host management access control, security (NAC)  such as port (user) management options , dedicated network settings for a host (speed/duplex) , vlan separation (for instance) , ...

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

@baselzind wrote:
please would someone clarify what harm can a hub or an unamanged switch do to a network?

In a blink of an eye, an unmanaged switch or a hub can take your network down due to spanning-tree loop.  And that's only for beginners.  

How about a hub or an unmanaged switch can introduce an ingress threat vector for hackers into your network.

Permit me to tell everyone a nice story:  In one of my job, we had a site that had a network cabinet.  In the cabinet were our (corporate) switch gear, a vendor network gear and another network gear.  One of the vendor gear had a DSL link connected to it.  The decision to locate the two vendor switches in the same cabinet was outside our control.  The vendors demand a space.  But we were explicit that both vendor switches need to be different colored patch cables, which, of course the site did not follow.  We also warned the site never to patch any of the switches together.  

One day, that site called up to report a severity 1 incident.  To make matters worse, the site contact did not follow protocols and rang up our head honcho.  Basically, they "escalated" without any trouble tickets raised.  

The incident was around the corporate network stopped.  Printing stopped.  VoIP stopped.  Nothing worked.  NOTHING.  When we remoted into the site's network everything was topsy turvy.  Everything was sporting a 192.168.X.X IP address.  We spent about two hours troubleshooting without any result.  Until someone accidentally found out that one of access ports suddenly had 50 MAC addresses attached to it.  

We pulled all the MAC addresses and ran all of them into an OUI identifier.  And then one of them stood out.  A big f*cking switch.  

Well, I lost it and I saw red.  I called up the person who reported the severity 1 incident and yelled screamed at him (including threats to bodily harm).  It was one thing to report an incident a "severity 1" without a ticket but it was something else if it was a "self-inflicted injury" and they wanted someone to blame.  

so that unmanaged switch caused a L2 loop?

No, the unmanaged switch took down the network of that site because it was dishing out IP addresses.

". . . unmanaged switch . . . was dishing out IP addresses."

Really!!!  Whose brand and specific model switch was it?

I ask because I've very, very surprised any unmanaged switch would dish out IPs (via DHCP?).

Re-reading you description of the incident, was possibly the unmanaged switch an unmanaged router ("DSL link connected to it") with a (switch) bank of built-in LAN ports?  If so, such a device giving out IP addresses wouldn't be surprising, and usually would expect such a device to have some very basic management support (usually via a web interface).  (BTW, having used a few such devices, myself, what you can manage on them can vary greatly, including not being even able to disable some features, possibly like DHCP running on its LAN ports.)

@Joseph W. Doherty wrote:
If so, such a device giving out IP addresses wouldn't be surprising, and usually would expect such a device to have some very basic management support (usually via a web interface).

The switch is (present tense, still there) one of two vendor networks in the cabinet.  It was dishing out DHCP and the vendor probably did not know what is the management IP address of their switch is.  

hi leo,

you should watch out for your BP

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card