Views
Helpful
Replies

Are we going to use (Vlan Database Mode) in Cisco lab exams

Hisham1984
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody,

Currently studying CCIE Routing and Switching v5.0 Official Cert Guide to prepare myself for both Written and lab exams.

And I noticed that Cisco guide started to use both ways in Vlan configurations from the first page of Virtual LANs chapter, the global configuration mode we usually use, and the old -almost obsolete- one which used to be called Vlan Database mode.

Anyway, I don't wanna flood my head with too many configs commands and modes already, is it ok to ignore this Vlan Database mode for configuration and focus only on the global config mode ??

Or will Cisco CCIE lab somehow demand using this mode whilst working on the exam ?? like giving me a clear request to configure a certain part of the switching scenarios using only Vlan Database mode and stuff ??

I wish to decrease the amount of configuration modes and commands I need to remember before the exam but I don't want any nasty surprises during the test...

Thanks in advance ...

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hisham,

I wrote the chapter about VLANs in that book, and it was my decision to keep the VLAN database mode in the book.

It is almost certain that the CCIE R&S Lab Exam will not require you to use the VLAN database mode. Currently, the lab is running on IOU images that discourage their users from even using VLAN database mode, so the global configuration mode is the only proper way of manipulating VLANs on those switches and IOS images.

The reasons I have kept the VLAN database mode in the book are:

• If working with ISR G1 and G2 routers with switching modules installed, some older IOS versions do not support manipulating VLANs in the configuration mode, and require you to manipulate VLANs in the VLAN database mode - and this has happened to me with 12.4/12.4T IOSes which existed well in time when switches already deprecated the VLAN database mode. That is why I wanted the reader to keep a notion of this mode as well.
  • I have written the book not just with the certification, but also with the general usability of the information in mind. A prospective CCIE will very probably stumble across an older switch or router that is fairly decent but still not supporting the new style of VLAN manipulation yet. It would be kind of embarassing for such a qualified person to be puzzled by such an occurrence.

It should be noted that the VLAN database mode is almost 1:1 similar to the configuration mode so there are really almost no changes. Nonetheless, if you want to focus on the Lab Exam requirements then rest assured - the VLAN database mode will most probably not be requested.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

Hi Paul,

All answers I am providing here are according my personal understanding so please take them as ... let's say an informed but still not a definitive response. I will try to reach out to CCIE R&S product manager to confirm my statements here, and I will get back to you as soon as I hear from him (or alternatively, he will respond directly).

would a candidate who lets says passes the written let's say this week ! (Before July 2016)

be able to take the lab after July 2016  -

1) if they don't want to take before July 2016

Yes.

2) if they fail the lab before July 2016 and want to retake the lab later on in the year 

Yes.

Or do they need to retake the ver5.1 written to retake the lab

No. Both CCIE R&S Written Exam v5.0 and v5.1 equally qualify you to apply for a Lab Exam at any time you find suitable, before or after July 25th, 2016, provided you meet the general guidelines: Your first attempt must be scheduled within 18 months since passing the Written Exam, and you have to pass the Lab Exam within 3 years since passing the Written Exam, otherwise you will need to retake the Written Exam again.

Please keep the questions coming!

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hisham,

I wrote the chapter about VLANs in that book, and it was my decision to keep the VLAN database mode in the book.

It is almost certain that the CCIE R&S Lab Exam will not require you to use the VLAN database mode. Currently, the lab is running on IOU images that discourage their users from even using VLAN database mode, so the global configuration mode is the only proper way of manipulating VLANs on those switches and IOS images.

The reasons I have kept the VLAN database mode in the book are:

• If working with ISR G1 and G2 routers with switching modules installed, some older IOS versions do not support manipulating VLANs in the configuration mode, and require you to manipulate VLANs in the VLAN database mode - and this has happened to me with 12.4/12.4T IOSes which existed well in time when switches already deprecated the VLAN database mode. That is why I wanted the reader to keep a notion of this mode as well.
  • I have written the book not just with the certification, but also with the general usability of the information in mind. A prospective CCIE will very probably stumble across an older switch or router that is fairly decent but still not supporting the new style of VLAN manipulation yet. It would be kind of embarassing for such a qualified person to be puzzled by such an occurrence.

It should be noted that the VLAN database mode is almost 1:1 similar to the configuration mode so there are really almost no changes. Nonetheless, if you want to focus on the Lab Exam requirements then rest assured - the VLAN database mode will most probably not be requested.

Best regards,
Peter

Hello Peter

Whilst we are on the subject of ccie track - 

I noticed Cisco has two versions for the ccie RS written:

ver5.0 - for lab takers before July 2016

ver 5.1 for lab takers after July 2016 

but only the one exam 400-001 showing on pearson vue web site

can you shed any light on  this.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

I noticed Cisco has two versions for the ccie RS written:

ver5.0 - for lab takers before July 2016

ver 5.1 for lab takers after July 2016 

Yes, there is an update planned for the CCIE R&S Written Exam. A small correction: It's not for "lab takers" but rather for Written Exam takers. The lab can be scheduled only after successfully passing the Written Exam, anyway. The way I understand it, whoever takes Written before July 25th, 2016 will be offered the existing 5.0 version; whoever takes Written on or after July 25th, 2016, will be offered the new 5.1 version. I do not believe that these two versions will be available in parallel - that has not been the CCIE policy so far except for beta versions of these exams. I will need to check this out.

The updated Written Exam version is extended with topics covering the evolving technologies (think SDN, ACI, orchestration, ...) because, let's face it, they are here and they're going to stay whether we like it or not. CCIEs are the first ones to have an idea what's possible and what can be expected. They are not required to become coding gurus to get their CCIE, absolutely not. However, in the same way current CCIEs know very well what's possible and reasonable with closed solutions in routers and switches, new CCIEs must know what's possible and reasonable with all the evolving technologies to steer them and their deployment properly, even if all they will do is communicate requirements clearly to software engineers.

Regarding the exam number on Pearson - I will need to ask to be absolutely sure, but with CCIE exams, the policy is always to announce a planned update 6 months before that update takes place, and then, on the cutoff date, switch from one version to the other. It is possible that this is the case with the upcoming Written Exam update as well. Note that this is in contrast to lower level exams that, for 6 months, are available both in older and newer versions in parallel.

Would this answer your question? Please feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,
Peter

Hello Peter 

Thanks for the reply.

If your right then wouldn't it be unfair for candidates ccies who pass this ver 5.0 written as they will 

--need to take the lab before July 2016

--- and if they are unsuccessful in that lab their written wouldn't be able to take a further attempt after July 2016 as their ver5 written would not be valid.

Lastly those candidates who currently plan to take lab say later on of 2016 need to wait until after July 2016 to take their written thus now cannot schedule the lab for a minimum of 4 months from now!

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

The update of the Written Exam is not a new generation of CCIE R&S. It is still CCIE R&S v5. The Lab Exam for CCIE R&S is not affected by this change. Only the Written Exam is updated from v5.0 to v5.1, but the Lab Exam is not going to be extended with the evolving technologies, at least for now. So regardless of the Written Exam version a candidate passes, either 5.0 or 5.1, he subscribes afterwards for the same lab.

Would that make sense?

Best regards,
Peter

Thanks Peter for your support and dedication ... Good to know all these points before proceeding further for the exam ...

Hello Peter 

i undestand that mate but would a candidate who lets says passes the written let's say this week ! (Before July 2016)

2) if they fail the lab before July 2016 and want to retake the lab later on in the year 

res

paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

All answers I am providing here are according my personal understanding so please take them as ... let's say an informed but still not a definitive response. I will try to reach out to CCIE R&S product manager to confirm my statements here, and I will get back to you as soon as I hear from him (or alternatively, he will respond directly).

would a candidate who lets says passes the written let's say this week ! (Before July 2016)

Yes.

Yes.

No. Both CCIE R&S Written Exam v5.0 and v5.1 equally qualify you to apply for a Lab Exam at any time you find suitable, before or after July 25th, 2016, provided you meet the general guidelines: Your first attempt must be scheduled within 18 months since passing the Written Exam, and you have to pass the Lab Exam within 3 years since passing the Written Exam, otherwise you will need to retake the Written Exam again.

Please keep the questions coming!

Best regards,
Peter

No. Both CCIE R&S Written Exam v5.0 and v5.1 equally qualify you to apply for a Lab Exam at any time you find suitable, before or after July 25th, 2016

Cheers Peter that's what I was looking for

res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Thank you Peter,

As the CCIE RS written product manager I could not have worded it better!!

Kurt

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card