Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5505 and Linksys WRT54GL

Hello,

i have ASA5505 and a Linksys router. The question is how can i build a VPN tunnel between them?

I have installed DD-WRT

Standard Generic and VPN Generic on the router. I made a VPN tunnel in the ASA with the Wizard Site-to-site VPN but i don't know what i should do next? Should i connect the router with openVPN or what?

Thanks! REGARDS!

1 Reply 1

Shahzad Arain
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Svetoslav,

ASA VPNs support two primary methods of establishing VPNs: IPSec and SSL  WebVPN. Typically, the IPSec tunnels are used to establish static  point-to-point VPNs (bridging two networks, for example) and the WebVPN  is intended for client remote access.

To setup VPN on DD-WRT following are the steps.

1. Connect to your router. For that you have to put in your browser the ipaddress.
    Also you have to set your network connection to obtain IP address automatically if you connect to your router via Ethernet.
  2. Configure your DD-WRT router to share your regular internet connection.
  3. Go to “Setup” -> “Basic Setup” .
    On “Connection type”  select PPTP (or L2TP).
    For “Use DHCP”  select “Yes”.
    In the “Gateway (PPTP Server)” field enter the IP address of the server you want to connect to.
    In the “Username” field enter your username you have received from CactusVPN.
    In the “Password” field enter your VPN password.
    For “PPTP Encryption” select “Enable”.
    For “STP” select “Disable”.

4.  Below at “Optional Settings” change “MTU”  to “Manual” and enter 1460 as value you can change as per requirements.

Enter  an IP address for the DD-WRT access point.

5.  Enable DHCP Server and make sure all 3 boxes are NOT checked:  “Use DNSMasq for DNCP”, “Use  

DNSMasq for DNS” and “DHCP-Authoritative”.

Click on “Apply settings”.

6.  Go to “Security” tab -> “Firewall”  set “Disable” for “SPI Firewall” .

7. Now go to “VPN Passthrough” tab and select “Enable” for “PPTP Passthrough” then click on “Apply

settings” .

8. Go to “Administration” tab, on the bottom of the page you will find  “Reboot router” button  – click it. After router

reboots it should  connect to VPN automatically.

9. To check the connection status go to “Status” -> “WAN” . If  next to “Login status”  is written 

“Connected” then connectin is set  up succesefully. If not click to connect wait for abut 30 seconds and  check if your

IP has been changed.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card