cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5508-X Using Block Of Static IP’s

fbeye
Level 4
Level 4

So I have my configuration able to Ping from the Router itself (GBit 1/1 using a Static IP set for PPPoE) and I see GBit 1/2 is the LAN 192.168.1.1 but I am having a heck of a time removing the DHCP / Nat and being able to use, at random (to be specificed on the device) my Block Of Static IP’s. I currently have no running-config that differs from default aside from the WAN but I am going in circles. I am using my Cisco 891f (which is set the way I liked it) as a reference and with an open mind to the fact this is far more technical but I am just lost.

64 Replies 64

If it did not make sense then, it surely does now. I am telling you, it’s about confidence because reading this latest comment really did tell me what I already knew (because you mentioned it before) but then I second guess myself. A shame.

I definitely are a clear painting of how this can all come together and am eager to put it all together. 

I also see what you mean about the Static Route so that makes sense as well.

I will work on this and keep you updated. Very excited, thank you.

I am glad that my explanations are making more sense now. I encourage you to go ahead with trying to get this to work. You are right that the ASA is a very different kind of device and there is certainly a learning curve in learning how to configure and operate them. I am sure that you will have additional questions as you get deeper into the configuration and operation of your ASA. Feel free to come back to the forum and to ask additional questions.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Looking forward to playing around with this tonight.

Going to set up my Static NAT and then my ACL’s.

It just occurred to me why initially my (out of the box) configuration on 1/2 (ADSM) was able to get pinged by my PC but not ping the Gateway x.x.122.182 because what I am assuming was that it had no ACL to do so even though 1/2 is security 100 and 1/1 is security 0.

I will keep you updated. Thank you 

Matt

Matt

I am not sure what the issue was, but I do not believe that it was lack of an ACL on 1/2. A device on an interface with security level of 100 should be able to access a device on interface with security level of 0 without needing an AVL.

Do keep us posted as you continue to work with your ASA.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Alright.

I believe I got it all functioning. Each device is statically set with the 192.168.x.x IP address and is set with NAT on the router to translate  to its corresponding External IP. I have verified on each device that it is indeed the correct IP on the internet.

Next step is ACL to allow my Email to work. Being as you said anything 100 can touch 0 without an ACL, I assume I do not need to set any ports /access for "outgoing" Email. So I will work on incoming ports.

What I found to be weird is that each device can Ping it's Interface but can not ping the Router Gateway but can ping the Internet beyond.. Not sure if this is normal or permission based or just odd.

The most interesting thing of all is this;

When setting up my PPPoE and having it create it's own static route. Nothing inside could ping outside. Nothing.

I noticed that when PPPoE is active and I try to add a static route it says that the path is already set and the Gateway IP of x.x.121.182 is already assigned, so would not work.

I began messing around and left 1/1 disabled and created a 'route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.121.182 and I could then, from either 1/2 and 1/3 Ping the world... I enabled 1/1 again and it stuck.

I tested my theory and started over, would not work unless I made a static route prior to setting up PPPoE.

Matt

You are correct about the ACL for email etc. Your outbound traffic should be permitted by default. So you need to configure ACL for inbound.

I hope this link will help you with the issue about ping to the outside interface

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/67899

so this is the expected behavior.

For pppoe default route have you specified setroute in the config?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello

Well I got everything set up and verified receiving and sending email.. Had to create a new rule with specified port 993 as default rule sets only have imap4 (143) but that is fine. All of my devices are up and running and I see no issues.

I will look into that link you sent me about pinging.

Trying to look back... When I manually set route and the PPPoE was enabled, it would not let me use .182 as the Gateway. Only when I had 1/1 disabled and manually created the set route and then enabled it would it stick. 

The link you initially gave me had utilized NAT to open which port for email and so on but I chose to have NAT simply be "this outside ip goes to this inside ip" and did not specify any ports, simply translate. I am using the ACL's to control all and any ports. Hope this is also another way of doing the same thing (by not utilizing the ports in NAT).

Are there any recommended next steps once it is all configured fr that extra protection?

I can not thank you enough for your support and encouragement as well as guidance. You made someone who was more or less defeated into someone who achieved the goal he set out to do.

Really, there are not enough thank you's.

I am sure I will be back soon as to how to implement my Internet-Connecting-To-home VPN to access my videos on my NAS from an anywhere... But that's another time.

Matt

I am glad to hear that you have your devices up and running. Needing to configure a specific rule to allow port 993 is not surprising.

It is certainly ok to have the static nat process just the IP (and not the port number) and to use ACL to control port access.

I am glad that my guidance has been helpful and has helped you transition from feeling defeated to having achieved your goal. When I was new in networking I had some people and a forum similar to this one who shared their expertise with me and helped me learn. I hope you will continue to be active in the forum and as your expertise increases that you will share what you know with others.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

fbeye
Level 4
Level 4

I’ve got a quick question and if it’s more appropriate to begin a new thread that is fine.

I am wondering why I can not check my own email while home. (1/2 TPlink to 1/3 Email). It has an IP Route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.121.182 and both Interfaces are 100 Security. Independently they can send/receive data to and from the net so I am a bit lost.

My Email client just times out but when I go to LTE instead of WiFI it connects just fine.

My Client is connected to the domain of my IP so maybe the TPLink is bypassing Nameservers cause it’s on the LAN and can’t resolve?

Matt

If both interfaces are level 100 have you used the command to permit same security level inter interface? By default the ASA will not send traffic from one interface to another interface at the same security level. So you need to specifically allow this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Good Morning

I was so fixated on higher security can connect to lower that I for whatever reason had assumed equal security would be able to pass data but the second I read what you wrote it clicked and occurred to me that that would make sense for security issues among the network.

Thank you .

Matt

It is a subtle aspect of the config and easy to not understand it correctly. As I mentioned in a previous response you can sort of think of the security levels as doing the same thing as the zones you configured on your router. And when you configure zones on the router then interfaces within a zone can freely communicate with each other. But the ASA was designed as a security device and takes a conservative approach that interfaces at the same security level do not by default communicate with each other. You have to specifically enable that communication.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

This definitely was more complicated than I thought.. Not only did I have to make an ACL for SMTP/IMAP from 1/2 to 1/3 but I also, after scratching my head, realized I needed to create a NAT from 1/2 to 1/3.

I then learned that by creating an ACL on my 1/3 Mail (where prior there were none because 1/1 was allowing access and then NAT was redirecting) it then removed all other access such as domain and web access because by adding an ACL I removed the standard "allow all traffic to lesser security interface".

I am at the point where I can send from 1/2 (TPLink) to 1/3 (Mail) but can not send from my 1/3 (Mail) to the Internet. I keep getting "reject_unknown_recipient_domain: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found" so for whatever reason my MAIL is not accessing a Name server.

At this point, because I need my email, I simply removed all my settings I changed and simply made 1/3 a 99 Security so my 1/2 can access it and it[Mail] can send to the world.

I will spend more time in figuring out what I am missing. But I am definitely on the right path.

I am not sure why you need nat between 1/2 and 1/3. It is true that as you use ACL to permit traffic between interfaces you need to consider all the kinds of protocols that you might need to allow. And I wonder if you really did need an ACL between 1/2 and 1/3. I am glad that you did find a work around to get the traffic going and that you believe that you are on the right path. There is certainly a learning curve as you work on the ASA and you are making good progress.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card