cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Cisco Catalyst 6800 Series Switches

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about the Cisco Catalyst 6800 Series Switches with Cisco expert Amer Atout. 

Cisco Catalyst 6800 Series Switches are programmable campus backbone switches optimized for 10/40/100 Gigabit Ethernet services. They provide slot capacity of up to 880 G and smart and simple network operations using Cisco Catalyst Instant Access. These switches offer converged wired, wireless, and VPN security and exceptional investment protection with their Cisco Catalyst 6500 inheritance.

Amer Atout is a product manager for the Cisco Catalyst 6800 and 6500 Series Switches. He is responsible for promoting the next-generation supervisor module and fixed aggregation platforms. Previously, Amer was a customer escalation engineer for the Cisco Catalyst Access platforms, where he led in the resolution of escalated issues on Cisco Catalyst 4000, 3000, and 2000 products; increased customer satisfaction; and improved product quality. Amer holds a master's degree in electrical engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor and a bachelor's degree in computer engineering from the University of Jordan, Amman. 

* * Remember to use the rating system to let Amer know if you have received an adequate response. * *

Amer might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation in Network Infrastructure community,  sub-community, LAN, Switching and Routing discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through January 16, 2015. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

21 Replies 21

Hi Amer,
So I see that it isn't possible to add carrier delay/dampening onto the interfaces or PO participating as a VSL.  What are your thoughts to adding logging event link/bundle status along with load-interval?

There should be no impacts from what I see.

Cheers,

Rash

Hello Rash,

Please check the following link for best practices:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/VSS30dg/campusVSS_DG/VSS-dg_appa-configs.html

Load interval and logging event commands are not required but can be enabled to see logs if the port channel flaps. "load interval 30" helps in better granularity with counters. It averages the traffic rates over 30 sec instead of 5 minutes default.

Hope this helps.

Hi Amer,
I've viewed this link before but some features are not enabled for the 6880's.  MLS Qos is not available for the switch virtual link (aka VSL PO).  So that's why I was posing the question.  

Additionally, if you do a show running-configuration all (to display defaults) there are a slew of default parameters set on these VSL port-channels.  

Hence my query on getting the best practices and the forum's opinion.  As for the load interval/logging I will enable these purely because I want it managed with our NMS system.

Cheers,
Rash

Hello Rash,

Carrier delay is not commonly configured on the VSL port. If you still have follow up questions, please reach out to your account manager and he can connect us to have a live discussion.

Regards.

Hi Amer,

When C6800-32P10G line card would support 40G interfaces ?

As per docs above has 2x40G ports, is there any line card that gives more 40G density (ie 8x40G)

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

Nice to hear from you. Please reach out to your account manager for this roadmap information.

Regards.

AmanDhanoya17
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Got an issue when applying qos on gig interface of cisco 6800

Software version 15.2 (sys 1a) 

I have applied this config on the 6800 

class-map type lan-queuing match-any IPTV-Traffic

match dscp cs5

policy-map type lan-queuing IPTV-Policy

bandwidth 50 (50% bandwidth)

and also tried with 

priority 1 command

but when i apply this policy on a gig interface, it doesn't seem to work i get this error message:

Propagating [attach] lan queueing policy "testing"

I go back to the interface and run a show runing config of the interface and can't see the service policy applied to it. 

What we are trying to do, is to apply qos to priortise multicast traffic for cisco stadium vison.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card