cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Troubleshooting High CPU in Catalyst Switches

Monica Lluis
Level 9
Level 9

This session will provide an opportunity to learn and ask questions about how to troubleshoot CPU issues in the Cisco Catalyst Switches IOS architecture.

Ask questions from Monday, January 25 to Friday February 5, 2016

Featured Experts

Naveen Venkateshaiah is a customer support engineer in High-Touch Technical Services (HTTS). He is an expert on Routing, LAN Switching and Data Center products. His areas of expertise include Cisco Catalyst 3000, 4000, 6500,  and Cisco Nexus 7000,Nexus 5000, Nexus 3000, Nexus 2000, UCS, and MDS SAN Switches. He has over 8 years of industry experience working with large enterprise and Service Provider networks. Venkateshaiah holds a CCNA, CCNP, and  CCDP-ARCH, AWLANFE, LCSAWLAN Certification. He is currently working to obtain a CCIE in Data Center.

Abhishek Soni is a customer support engineer in High-Touch Technical Services (HTTS). He is an expert on Routing, LAN Switching and Data Center products. His areas of expertise include Cisco Catalyst 3000, 4000, 6500,  and Cisco Nexus 7000. He has over 8 years of industry experience working with large enterprise and Service Provider networks. Soni holds a CCNA and CCNP Certification. He is currently working to obtain a CCIE in routing and switching.

Find other  https://supportforums.cisco.com/expert-corner/events.

** Ratings Encourage Participation! **
Please be sure to rate the Answers to Questions

I hope you and your love ones are safe and healthy
Monica Lluis
Community Manager Lead
63 Replies 63

xbijyt30631
Level 1
Level 1

how like that

how like that

Please let me know if you have any question.

martino-cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Naveen and Abhishek,

I have a 3850 that constantly shows high CPU usage on one of the Cores (average 95%). When I trace the process that seems to be causing this problem, it appears to be the 'fed'.

Next I've used the command 'show processes cpu detailed process fed sorted' to see some more detail and notice the Xcvr process is still quite high (constantly about 25%).

I can't seem to find any information on the Xcvr and why it could be bringing a huge burden on the CPU.

Any thoughts please?

Hi Martino,

Thanks for asking.

FED: The Forwarding Engine Driver (FED) is a Linux process that provides platform / hardware services related to PortASIC and XCVR programming.

XCVR used to manage link/module status on the platform.

Following link provides a detailed process about High CPU troubleshooting on 3850.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/117594-technote-hicpu3850-00.html

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card