Views
Helpful
Replies

% Authorization failed.

gkurunthasalam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

Whenever i am executing any command in a router or switch, i am receiving following error, if try for more than 2 to 3 times, the command stats executing. please advise what is the cause for this error and how to rectify this?

CE ROUTER#sh clo
% Authorization failed.

CE ROUTER#sh clo
% Authorization failed.

CE ROUTER#sh clo
17:06:30.131 EST Tue Mar 22 2016

Reagrds

Gokul Kurunthasalam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Most likely you have AAA authorisation enabled.  The AAA system is refusing authorization which produces the "Authorization failed" error.

My guess - you have a number of AAA servers configured.  One of them is denying you access, and another is allowing you access.  Hence repeating the command enough times eventually gets you onto the server to permit access.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Most likely you have AAA authorisation enabled.  The AAA system is refusing authorization which produces the "Authorization failed" error.

My guess - you have a number of AAA servers configured.  One of them is denying you access, and another is allowing you access.  Hence repeating the command enough times eventually gets you onto the server to permit access.

Thanks Philip,

Please avdise how to fix this issue or please share the commands to identify these configurations.

regards

Gokul

To view your AAA config use something like:

show running | inc aaa

That will show if you are using TACAS, RADIUS, or local.  From there you need to examine the specific methods config.

yeah it's obviously a problem with tacacs/radius authentication, I used to face same problem when i change the router name and forget to regenerate the crypto key.

example ; 

crypto key generate rsa modulus 2048

Thank you,

I was facing the same issue, after executing  command its works for me 

crypto key generate rsa modulus 2048

patilkamlakar99
Level 1
Level 1

IE-9320-22S2C4X#crypto key generate rsa modulus 2048
% Authorization failed.

Can you post the output of show run | sec aaa

HTH