Views
Helpful
Replies

Automatic Identification of Management Interfaces/Ports

Lord Tiger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was just wondering if there was a way to run the "logging source-interface" with a generic value, for instance, I want it to go through the management interface but there are thousands of devices on the network and going into each device, looking up management interfaces in order to specify that in the command is a pain, is there something like "logging source-interface management interface" or something like that where you can just specify that? Any suggestions? Maybe you guys have a better way around it?

Thank you!

9 Replies 9

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

Do you have loopback interfaces on the routers? If so you can do that. I don't see anything to just have a generic interface call out like managment-interface.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Unfortunately, there isn't a generic interface you can use as there are many options (gigabit, tegigabit, loopback, vlan, etc...). If your devices have a loopback interface, I recommend making that the source, as it is a logical interface and it never goes down unless the box goes down. Also, if you have a monitoring software, you may be able to push the command to multiple devices at the same time.  

HTH

@burleyman wrote:

Do you have loopback interfaces on the routers? If so you can do that. I don't see anything to just have a generic interface call out like managment-interface.

Unfortunatly we're not using loopbacks, most of them are vlans. 

@Reza Sharifi wrote:

Hi,

Unfortunately, there isn't a generic interface you can use as there are many options (gigabit, tegigabit, loopback, vlan, etc...). If your devices have a loopback interface, I recommend making that the source, as it is a logical interface and it never goes down unless the box goes down. Also, if you have a monitoring software, you may be able to push the command to multiple devices at the same time.  

HTH

I do use a monitoring software and the reason I'm asking for this is to come up with a command that I can push across all devices, but since we don't have a standard management port, each device is using a different interface.

Is there a way to identify management ports then? Maybe write a script that picks up and identifies the management ports and plugs them into the command? I might be dreaming but you never know so I thought I'd ask.

Scripts should work fine as long as all your devices are the same and they are all using the same interface. For example, if all your devices are Cisco 3850 series and you are using the out-of-band management port, you can write a script for that.  You did not explain how you are managing these devices ( in-band, out-of-band, vlan, using a normal port, etc..) and what type of switches you have.

HTH

@Reza Sharifi wrote:

Scripts should work fine as long as all your devices are the same and they are all using the same interface. For example, if all your devices are Cisco 3850 series and you are using the out-of-band management port, you can write a script for that.  You did not explain how you are managing these devices ( in-band, out-of-band, vlan, using a normal port, etc..) and what type of switches you have.

HTH

It's out-of-band management, and monitoring is done through Solarwinds, there's no standard interface, so one 3850 might have vlan100 for management and another is running vlan200, in addition, the network has all kinds of devices, including 3500s, 3700s and 3800 switches (Some nexus switches too) and many other routers too like 2800s, 4300s and 4400s etc. which makes it harder to manage in cases like these.

I have a python script that should work to configure a loopback interface on your stuff without you having to login to them all. I can test and share if you would like.

Mike

I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to implement such change, but it would be nice to know nonetheless, so I'd appreciate it if you could share it, you don't have to test it either, I can do that.

Sorry been off line for a bit. I will get that together and post the scripts. I can't take credit for this, one of my co-workers actually created these while he was helping me learn Python. I have used them a bunch at customer sites to quickly gather information for design and troubleshooting issues.

@burleyman wrote:

Sorry been off line for a bit. I will get that together and post the scripts. I can't take credit for this, one of my co-workers actually created these while he was helping me learn Python. I have used them a bunch at customer sites to quickly gather information for design and troubleshooting issues.

That would be much appreciated, whenever you can.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card