cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BANDWIDTH CHECKING FOR DIFFERENT PUBLIC IP

adeelskhan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there is there any possibility to check RX and TX for each public individual IP assigned by ISP, suppose ISP assigned a pool of x.x.x.x/29 (10Mb CIR), each of different IPs are assigned to different devices like email server, wifi router; since this is a totally flat network, sometimes i observe that the bandwidth downgraded to 5/6 Mbps, what i want to know is there any possibility to check RX and TX for each individual IP.

Regards

Adeel

7 Replies 7

Bob Bagheri
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Adeel,

I recommend that you ask your ISP for their ingress and egress traffic policies for your specific contract.  Most ISP's have QoS packages they offer for traffic management, however, I have rarely seen any be IP specific.  It is possible that they may use ACL's to match your IP address (public post NAT) so they can somehow charge you differently, but I have not seen that with most ISP's.

Once you understand how they are managing traffic in both directions, you can use a variety of "show" commands in addition to a packet capture to validate the ISP's QoS markings / packages. 

HTH,
Bob

@Bob

@Ganesh

Thx for your replies, but ISP is allocating a pool of IPs in which bandwidth is allocated, i have talked with ISP several times regarding this but they are unable to find bandwidth of each individual IP, is there any possible or is there any spy software to check online the bandwidth of any public IP.

Regards

ADEEL

You may be able to find some DNS reports on how much the IP address is being requested publicly.

You mentioned email traffic.  Does it spike when you assign an address to the Email server vs. other types of servers?  Perhaps you are getting hammered with SPAM?  Just thinking about possibilities.

If you can spin up a SPAN port and capture lots of traffic it might give you some insight on what exactly is going on.

Hope that helps.
Bob

thx bob

Sure, I hope that I was able to help.

Bob

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi there is there any possibility to check RX and TX for each public individual IP assigned by ISP, suppose ISP assigned a pool of x.x.x.x/29 (10Mb CIR), each of different IPs are assigned to different devices like email server, wifi router; since this is a totally flat network, sometimes i observe that the bandwidth downgraded to 5/6 Mbps, what i want to know is there any possibility to check RX and TX for each individual IP.RegardsAdeel

Hello Adeel,

If you are running some sort of monitoring tools on your network and you are monitoring that device where this devices are getting natted. You would probably can see the interface bandwidth stats.

But for individual ip address mapping normally devices like packet shaper are been used in network to monitor each ip address with what protocol is been talking. Better and easy way as recommend is to check with ISP for segregation of bandwidth analysis on per ip base, As they used to have monitoring enabled for public ips what they assigned to customer.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

@Bob

@Ganesh

Thx for your replies, but ISP is allocating a pool of IPs in which bandwidth is allocated, i have talked with ISP several times regarding this but they are unable to find bandwidth of each individual IP, is there any possible or is there any spy software to check online the bandwidth of any public IP.

Regards

ADEEL

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card