cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

banner motd and blank lines.

cldavis
Level 1
Level 1

I noted some problems recently with some of my switches.  I want to have some blank lines in my banner motd message.  On a switch I run 12.2.58SE2 it looks great.  I tried to put the message on a switch running 12.2.55SE4 and the blank lines are removed.  Granted it is not critical, just cosmetic but it does make the notice easier to read.  I have read a number of answers on this forum the last saying that this seems to be a particularly hard bug to squash, as it has appeared in releases, only to be fixed, and then only to re-appear.  The last message I saw remarked that the bug was fixed as of 12.2.55SE2, but I seem to have it again in 12.2.55SE4.  I can't put 12.2.58 on the switches I am using, and I'd rather not fall back to 12.2.55SE2.  Any ideas?  If not, I guess I'll just but a dash or 2 at the begining of the line to break it up and get a  mostly blank line. 

I am also getting the problem on my 4507 as well running 12.2.54SG1, but  I haven't seen anything in the community on that but I'm assuming that it is the same repeating bug problem. 

Thanks

Chris

7 Replies 7

gadejean
Level 1
Level 1

Chris,

Try inserting a single character like a "." or "-" at the beginning of the blank line.

Hi Chris,

You seem to have done your research thoroughly.

This is a problem where you may consider to generate a Service Request from the forum post.

Not sure if it helps but it may wake-up a few people.

regards,

Leo

cldavis
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I did create a TAC case to see what Cisco had to say.  My 3560 was not supported, but my 4507 is so I used that contract.  I'll mention that I have seen the problem on other hardware models when I chat with the engineer.  I appreciate you confirming my idea of using a dash or something on the line to break up the sections.  I figured that would work and have confirmed it. 

I guess that's what I'll have to use unless Cisco gives me a better option. 

Chris

stephen barcena
Level 1
Level 1

Chris, was googling around trying to find an answer and stumbled here. After playing around, I added a tab at the beginning of each blank line so that it doesnt get treated by IOS as a useless line. Some versions of IOS seem to accept the blank lines and others don't. HTH

Didn't think of that choice.  I am just using a dash or period.  Thanks for the idea.   I guess I should have tried using a tab.

Chris 

No problem! I used the periods and thought, "well this works, but it sure is ugly." Glad the tabs worked

This works! Thanks for the help. :)
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card