cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic IOS update question

cluovpemb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.  Normally for an IOS update I'll do the copy tftp: flash: process. 

Yet for embedded access points on a router, for example the one I work with on the 891W router, the following seems to be the command to use:

AP#archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://192.168.0.168/ap801-k9w7-tar.124-21a.JY.tar                  

Is there any reason why I can't just use the first method or does the AP only allow this "archive" command?  I don't wnat to test and have to find some obscure way to recover a botched IOS update on an embedded AP so I must ask here. 

Thank you! 

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Colin,

I can tell you that normal APs use the tar archive because there are a bunch of subdirectories that are used for the flash image. The IOS file (non-tar) is a single file that gets decompressed on bootup. I have never done an upgrade on an 891W, but for APs, yes, the archive process is normal.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

shillings
Level 4
Level 4

I think it's because it's a 'tar' file, not a 'bin' file. The archive command seems to be more sophosticated and will create the necessary directory structure on your flash. And as you can see, the additional keywords enable you to enforce a reload and overwrite the existing software, including directories.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
AP#archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://192.168.0.168/ap801-k9w7-tar.124-21a.JY.tar 

The filename in this command is for the built-in WAP, an AP802.  What you are doing is upgrading the autonomous IOS of the AP802 WAP.

When it comes to WAPs, I would recommend you use the automated "archive download-sw" because sometimes the TAR files contain upgrade drivers.

The router, by itself, you use the "copy" command because router IOS-es are all BIN files. 

4 Replies 4

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Colin,

I can tell you that normal APs use the tar archive because there are a bunch of subdirectories that are used for the flash image. The IOS file (non-tar) is a single file that gets decompressed on bootup. I have never done an upgrade on an 891W, but for APs, yes, the archive process is normal.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

shillings
Level 4
Level 4

I think it's because it's a 'tar' file, not a 'bin' file. The archive command seems to be more sophosticated and will create the necessary directory structure on your flash. And as you can see, the additional keywords enable you to enforce a reload and overwrite the existing software, including directories.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The filename in this command is for the built-in WAP, an AP802.  What you are doing is upgrading the autonomous IOS of the AP802 WAP.

When it comes to WAPs, I would recommend you use the automated "archive download-sw" because sometimes the TAR files contain upgrade drivers.

The router, by itself, you use the "copy" command because router IOS-es are all BIN files. 

I had never though to look at what's actually inside the tar file - stupid me.  what you guys are saying totally makes sense. 

Thanks very much for the info! 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card