Helpful
Replies

BDPUguard error detected

t-nms
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Today i got error message from access switch, it comes up with

%SPANTREE-SP-2-BLOCK_BPDUGUARD: Received BPDU on port FastEthernetx/x with BPDU Guard enabled. Disabling port.

%PM-SP-4-ERR_DISABLE: bpduguard error detected on Fax/x, putting Fax/x in err-disable state

%PM-SP-4-ERR_RECOVER:

So i check hub behind this port client is plug another lan cable cause loop so i rearrange lan cable.

What i'm doing is shut and no shut port for change error disable status to up but after do this client still can't receive ip address so i'm workaround by reload switch and it's seem now client can receive ip address.

but last time i have this issue i'm just do shut and no shut port so client can receive ip without reload switch.

My question is what can cause of this issue?

2 Replies 2

I must see the config of port 
but I have idea 
client ask DHCP for specific time, when this timeout is end the client assume DHCP failed and never ask DHCP again unless the interface is down/up again 
here you shut/no shut the lint to hub and hence the client never detect the link down/up
SW-link-hub-link-client 
so the client still assume the dhcp failed because it link never go down/up.
thanks 

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7

Sometimes if you shut/no shut to fast it does not register it and don't clear the errdisable. Or the device in the other end is seeing some issues as well and shut down the port on reboot.

It is a bit hard to troubleshoot without more information.

The is a feature called errrecovery you can use to automatically enable the port after x seconds.

SW10(config)#errdisable recovery interval 30
SW10(config)#errdisable recovery cause bpduguard
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card