Views
Helpful
Replies

Benefit of Half Line Card

vikaspurohit1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am currently working on an assignment, where we are deploying Cisco4900M series device with half line cards. WS-X4908-10GE. I need to understand what exactly is meant by half line card. Can we divide the line card in two parts and only deploy for 4 10G ports? There is a proportion remarks also mentioned (2:1) in datasheets, need to understand what this means. 

Please help.

Regards,

Vikas 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Vikas,

With respect to the 4900M chassis half line card implies that the switchports on the linecard only occupy half the horizontal width of the chassis. In the case of the 4900M is has a physical design limitation meaning it can only fit two half width line cards side by side.

Google a picture of the 4900M with all the slots empty. You will see what I mean.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Vikas,

With respect to the 4900M chassis half line card implies that the switchports on the linecard only occupy half the horizontal width of the chassis. In the case of the 4900M is has a physical design limitation meaning it can only fit two half width line cards side by side.

Google a picture of the 4900M with all the slots empty. You will see what I mean.

cheers,

Seb.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

There is a proportion remarks also mentioned (2:1) in datasheets, need to understand what this means. 

What that means is that module slot supports up to 40Gbps, so 8 10g ports oversubscribe the slot 2:1.  The 4 10g port card, though, is listed as "wire-speed".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card