cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best advice on setting up routing with existing equipment?

Paradera72
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. My Cisco routing experience is very limited, but I find myself in need of advice.
I've started working with a company that has 1 LAN with 2 vlans routed with their ASA 5510. The 5510 is connected to the www via a 10mb fiber connection. They also have a 5505 that is intended as a backup, connected to a 25mb DSL connection, but not currently set up.
There is no router.
They need to set up a couple of new servers in a data center which will be connected via a layer 2 TLS on 100mb fiber. The thought was to put a 1941 router on the LAN to route between internal VLANs, the TLS to the data center, and out to the internet via the ASAs.

Is this the best use of this equipment? Or are there better ideas? I set up a VLAN to simulate the TLS at 100mb, routing it through the 5510, but ran into issues with active directory replication despite allowing all IP traffic. Besides I didn't want to overload the 5510 and the 1941 would be better for routing?

Thanks,

Pete

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I agree with your design to keep to get a router to do the intervlan routing for you and have a layer-3 link between the router and the ASA firewall. This way, as your network grows, you don't have to make any changes and worry about over loading the firewall with different functions.

HTH

Paradera72
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you! Its nice to know I'm not barking up the wrong tree :)
Any suggestions with how to work with the firewalls they have? I mean in regards to ISP link redundancy or bonding?
I know that the recommended solution would be to leave the 5505 and have them acquire another 5510 as a fail over.

Can anything be set up with the existing hardware?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card