cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the show command that i can use the see the actual boot image on my catalyst 6503 E

claude1966
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I would like to verify what is the actual boot image running on my  catalyst 6503 E SUP 2T.

My IOS is s2t54-adventerprisek9-mz.spa.151-2.sy.bin and my Rommon is ok with the version 12.2(50r)sys3.

I tried many command without any success. Here's the commands that i have been tried:

- show bootvar

-show version

- show module

- show run

- show boot

I try to see the boot image that is use by my 6503 E and not only one that is configure under boot command.

I have configure my 6503 e like this: boot bootstrap bootdisk:/s2t54-boot-mz.SPA.151-2.SY.bin.

Thanks!

Claude

10 Replies 10

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,
Can u check this command:

Cat6509#dir bootflash:

Or

Cat6509#dir /all

Regards
Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

If I do dir bootdisk:  I can see the boot image (s2t54-boot-mz.SPA.151-2.SY.bin) stotre on my flash, but I can not be sure tha's the one running !

I would like to verify the one that is running

Thanks!

When u do : sh version

There u can see the image which is active now.

Regards
Don't forget to rate helpful posts

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

We're only starting to deploy sup2Ts, but its show version doesn't have something like (from a sup720):

System image file is "sup-bootdisk:s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI9.bin"?

[edit]

Did find one of our new sup2Ts, and its show version has:

System image file is "bootdisk:s2t54-advipservicesk9-mz.SPA.150-1.SY3.bin"

I am looking for the boot image and not the system IOS image . The boot image is a smaller version of the system IOS image that can be use for TFTP or access the switch if the IOS is corrupt.

Her's my two file under my flash:

1. IOS Image :  s2t54-adventerpriseK9-mz.spa.151-2.SY.bin

2. Boot image: s2t54-boot-mz.spa.151-2.SY.bin

These are the images on my flash but again, I want to check the active, running image on my switch.

I understand that I can see the active running IOS image with different command. Like with the show version and show module (FW) but what about the active running Boot image.

Is it possible to see it ?

I need to verify that the one configure is really the one that is active and running

Thanks!

Claude

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Ah, well if the sup2T is like the 720s, the actual booting is done by the images on the SP and/or RP.  They, in turn, boot the IOS (according to boot strings, if so configured and enabled).

For multiple IOS images, including a reduced IOS image, you would need to look at the boot strings.  Then check, for any image not actively running, check whether there's really an image where the boot string says it should be.

Again, not very familiar with the sup2T, but on a 720 you can specify just a device as part of the boot string, and the boot process will look for any valid image (I believe restricted to the root of the device) and boot it.

In other words, except for the running image, you need to analyze how the device is configured to boot using the boot strings (i.e. config-reg), whether boot strings have been defined, and whether there are valid images on your different flashes, and whether they all agree.

Even without explicit boot strings, a (720) can be configured to default boot using first valid IOS image found on its default boot device.

You asked about the "running image", again show version tells you that, but for how that image was actually selected during the boot process depends on all the above.  Again, what image might be selected to boot into, depends on all the above.

As some of the boot devices can be changed on the fly, an accurate analysis of what should boot isn't a guarantee of what will be actually be booted at time of boot.

Personally, I like (on 720s):

boot system disk1:

boot system disk0:

boot system bootdisk:

Which allows me to change IOS by changing CFs in disk1 and disk0, and without touching config.

However, others prefer explicit device:IOSFileName.

Thanks for your answer !

So, no command exist to verify what is the version of this image tha running on my router: s2t54-boot-mz.spaxyzSY.bin

I can only verify the image save under the flash with the command (dir) and I can verify what is configure under the boot string.  no other command exist to verify if what is configure is really the same image that is running. When i say image, I always refer to the same image s2t54-boot-mz........... not the system image.

Thanks again!

Claude

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Cisco IOS Software, s2t54 Software (s2t54-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.0(1)SY3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2012 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 19-Nov-12 19:22 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(50r)SYS3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

xxx uptime is 10 weeks, 2 days, 2 hours, 46 minutes
Uptime for this control processor is 10 weeks, 2 days, 2 hours, 46 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload at 16:41:44 UTC Mon Oct 7 2013
System restarted at 16:42:54 UTC Mon Oct 7 2013
System image file is "bootdisk:s2t54-advipservicesk9-mz.SPA.150-1.SY3.bin"
Last reload reason: Reload Command

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to export@cisco.com.

cisco WS-C6504-E (M8572) processor (revision ) with 3145728K/524288K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FXS1721Q8GA
CPU: MPC8572_E, Version: 2.2, (0x80E80022)
CORE: E500, Version: 3.0, (0x80210030)
CPU:1500MHz, CCB:600MHz, DDR:600MHz
L1:    D-cache 32 kB enabled
        I-cache 32 kB enabled

Last reset from s/w reset
2 Virtual Ethernet interfaces
51 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
10 Ten Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
2543K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

Configuration register is 0x2102

#sh mod
Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              Serial No.
--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------
  1    5  Supervisor Engine 2T 10GE w/ CTS (Acti VS-SUP2T-10G      

#sh rom-monitor slot 1 sp
Region Gold: version: V12.2(50r)SYS3
Region F1: INVALID, version: NA
Region F2: INVALID, version: NA
Currently running ROMMON from S (Gold) region

The last is the boot image as also shown in show version results.

The show version also shows actual running image and where it was loaded from.

So, unclear why you believe this infomation is not available.

claude1966
Level 1
Level 1

THanks again for your help !

I was confused because I heard that the Rommon image, the image you refered to( V12.2(50r)SYS3)

is not the same as the Boot image that I refered before (s2t54-boot-mz-spa...).

Claude

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I believe that IOS "boot" version is unnecessary.  The ROMMON can boot the main IOS directly.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card