cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best config for the required environment

Tahree
Level 1
Level 1

i have a cisco switch 48 port and 2 are gb ports and I have 4 servers and most of the ports are directly connected to the users i.e access port and some are going to the tp link switches(then to the users) and some are going to the printers and some are going to access points modems/router so whats the best config recomended for best possible result?

16 Replies 16

Andrew Khalil
Spotlight
Spotlight

@Tahree

Happy to provide you a solution! 

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you will need any further support!

Also please, don't forget to RATE all helpful responses! 

It will be so nice from you!

Bst Rgds

Andrew Khalil

Andrew Khalil
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @Tahree,

Greetings,

According to the messages I have got from you, I have drawn your topology by this way (so that I will be easier for us to interpret it and thus we can help):
Tahir.jpg

Please confirm whether it is correct or not, as I will build my advice according to my understanding to your topology as well as the info that you have given regarding the functions of each device! 

As I have understood that your Cisco switch is 2950 (which is an old L2 switch) so we can not use it to cut the broadcast domain to several ones (I mean to several vlans) and route between them using it! 

So, we have now, 2 more options depending on the capabilities of the TP-Link router that is connected to the ISP directly, whether it has the L3 capabilities or not!

I mean in another word can we configure its interface (that is connected to the 2950 switch) with an IP address or not?

1- If yes, so the first option will be "Router on stick" which means that we can cut the 2950 into several vlans and trunk the 2950 port that is connected to the TP-Link router while all other ports of the 2950 switch will be access ports in the desired vlans, while in the TP-Link router we will configure it port that is connected to the 2950 Switch to subinterfaces, each sub interface will get an IP address like the corresponding vlan in the 2950 Switch! 

I don't think that this TP-Link router will help to configure this first option, that's why I have explained shortly, till getting your feedback! 

2- The second option that most probably will be fitting your devices capabilities and topology, is to configure all the 2950 switch ports in the access mode assigned 1 vlan! and it means that all devices will access each other and communicate together.

To do this:

You will need to configure any vlan, let's say vlan 5 and name it "Test" :

#vlan 5

#name Test

#exit

Then add all the connected ports to this vlan:

#interface range f0/1-15                 (it means that you are adding from port no. f0/1 to f0/15)

#switchport mode access

#switchport access vlan 5

#no shutdown

Now it should be done!

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any inquiry! 

Also don't forget to RATE ALL my helpful response and MARK solutions!

It will be so nice from you!

Bst Rgds,

Andrew Khalil

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card