cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Practice / Design Question

ryan.wells
Level 1
Level 1

So im working in a new enviroment and want to makes some design changes to the enviroment. I wanted to bounce my ideas some of you folks to see if my thinking is on the right path or maybe i could do things better.

Setup:

Currently the setup that i manage includes and Sonic Wall (also dishes out dhcp), HP 1810 "Core Switch" and 3 SG 300-28P cisco managed switches. (all cisco switches tie back into the HP) The router is managed by the isp. There is only one vlan with all traffic going across it.

Obviously the glaring issue here is that voice and data all reside on the same vlan. Correct me if i am thinking incorrectly but the first step would be to create a seperate vlan for the phones with its own IP scheme. currently phones are issued addresses from the 150-200 range and everything else is left for pc's, printers etc. To my knowledge the HP switch does layer 3 but i do not know much about it. Also please note that there are vpn tunnels to remote offices that are used for sharepoint, email and to access other services. Please let me know if you have any ideas or need further info. Trying to wrap my mind around the enviroment as a whole so i may be missing something obvious i could do design wise to improve.

Thank You                  

2 Replies 2

Hello

At present sounds like everything is in one flat vlan
You don't mention how large this estate is in terms of clients etc, but if you have a L3 switch then inter-vlan routing is possible and that means you can have multiple vlan segregation for voice/clients/servers -maybe even separate your client into two different vlans- which would be a more robust design than having all devices in one large broadcast domain.

Red
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

since dhcp is set to deliver certain ip to phones and certain ip's to other devices could i setup a voice vlan with the same ip scheme

example

vlan 1:

192.168.1.2-149 (PC's, Servers etc)

Vlan 2:

192.168.1.150-200

Currently my dhcp is configured in this way to dish out address, im worried if i change the ip scheme for the voice vlan i may affect 3 digit dialing to the remote sites.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card