cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Practice for combining LACP ports on a switch stack

Seano
Level 1
Level 1

I have been wondering the best way to aggregate your trunk ports on a switch stack.

I have  a 5 - 6 switch stack 2960's, I will trunk them back to the core with a LACP port bundle. I have always wondered the best way to spread the ports. I will use 4 porta to get a 40 GB trunk. Should I have 2 ports on the first 2 switches each or have 1 port across 4 switches or I shouldnt even have them spread across the switches.

Whats everybody's thoughts?

Thanks 

Seano

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Well, assuming you also want redundancy, you would want to avoid having all LACP links on the same stack member.

I recall (?) reading that Cisco recommends not using any uplinks on a 3750 stack master. This I suppose to take some overhead off the stack member doing all the higher level "thinking" for the stack. Possible something to consider even for a 2960 stack.

Other than the above, if you had some very heavy reoccurring flows, there may be some performance benefit to avoid jumping across other stack members, but probably not worth the effort. I.e. keeping the above in mind, place the LACP ports where you wish.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Well, assuming you also want redundancy, you would want to avoid having all LACP links on the same stack member.

I recall (?) reading that Cisco recommends not using any uplinks on a 3750 stack master. This I suppose to take some overhead off the stack member doing all the higher level "thinking" for the stack. Possible something to consider even for a 2960 stack.

Other than the above, if you had some very heavy reoccurring flows, there may be some performance benefit to avoid jumping across other stack members, but probably not worth the effort. I.e. keeping the above in mind, place the LACP ports where you wish.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card