Views
Helpful
Replies

Best practice for lease period when configuring dhcp pool on core switches

Abayomi Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Y'all,

I have a quick question.What is the recommened practice when configuring lease period under DHCP pool.

The client has come up with this question and I am not really sure. I know most people configure the lease period as infinite but then what this means is that this does not free up ip addresses quickly enough.

The client has 2 core switches acting as the the dhcp server. The primary and secondary core switches have HSRP connectivity, however the the dhcp pools are only configured on the primary switch( I dunno why and who did this). They have asked for a review of this, as they want ip phones to still have connectivity in the event of a failover. Whats the best way to go about this? Is it to configure another dhcp pool on the secondary switch with a different scope or intorduce a proper DHCP server and ensure both switches have connectivity using ip helper?

I would go with the first optionas the client isnt looking at spending anything on this review.

I kindly await your suggestions.

Regards,

Yomi

1 Reply 1

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi yomi,

i've haven't read or enountered if there's any best practice for DHCP IP pool lease period, but in most environment that i've worked with, we usually leave it at the default (24 hours).

if your client has the budget to setup redudant core switches, why don't you suggest having a dedicated DHCP server (MS/Linux) in order for network IP pool to be scalable and for it to be easily managed and troubleshoot.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card